Sunday, 18 December 2011

Review: Going Bovine by Libba Bray


Going Bovine
By: Libba Bray

Rating: 

Summary from Indigo.ca:

Can Cameron find what he's looking for?All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school-and life in general-with a minimum of effort. It's not a lot to ask. But that's before he's given some bad news: he's sick and he's going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure-if he's willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.


Review:


I've read Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty series, which fascinated me, as well as the Beauty Queens novel, which made me laugh, and when i picked this book up I thought "Wow....sounds interesting." 

This book was not what I was expecting and no where near as funny as Beauty Queens. I thought I was going to see how crazy it could be for someone who's brain was degrading but instead I got more of Bray's opinions on modern day society like that in Beauty Queens but the setting didn't fit her opinion so it all just seemed wrong.

Bray takes shot after shot at youth entertainment mainly making fun of the television we watch, the things our generation find important, the people who idol, the resorts we vacation at and just about everything to do with our regular lives and makes it seem like the "loner" style teen/people are the ones who really understand this world.

Then throw in some fire giants, physics (which Libba skirts around really explaining and somehow makes it seem like they really know what they are talking about), an angel, and Yard Gnome believed to me the Norse god Baulder, and you have me uninterested and disappointed. 

The sad thing was the book had such great potential in the beginning and actually had me interested and for that I had to read the remainder of the book, only to find the ending most disappointed where Bray tries to take a stab at Religions and what happens to us after death, which is a water that I think no one should dip their feet into unless under the right circumstance and with the right well written book. 

Not that this book was not well written. Don't get me wrong Libba Bray knows proper grammar and writing styles, and doesn't lead her readers on as she interrupts Cameron's adventures with a little glimpse behind the curtain to what is really happening with Cameron.

And yes, there is no way that I can say truthfully that what happens in the book (the adventure that Cameron has) is not really what people imagine/think of when they have Mad Cow disease. People hallucinate ...I get that. And when they hallucinate they sometimes see some messed up things... I get that too, but somehow Bray seems to even stretch that.

I took me two months to read this novel. I read the first half very fast within 48 hours then the second half was just too much for me but I had to see how she was going to end it and I did. 

I would have preferred to use my time reading another book instead of this. All and All not horrible just stretched and to much politics and opinion in a teen novel.


My review on Indigo.ca

1 comment:

  1. I like your review :D Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/going-bovine-by-libba-bray.html

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...