Thursday, 16 February 2012

Review: The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney


The Mockingbirds
Series: The Mockingbirds #1
Author: Daisy Whitney
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 332
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  I chose to read this novel for about three reasons. 1) I love To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, so I was immediately taken by the title. 2.) I started to look around on some other blogs for ratings of this novel and was happy to see a high number of stars/ratings on almost all the review I looked at, and 3.) The synopsis. It tells of something series with a little mystery about a secret underground society in a prep school. All very, very inviting

Summary taken from Chapter.indigo.ca:
Some schools have honor codes.

Others have handbooks.

Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way-the Themis way. So when Alex Patrick is date-raped during her junior year, she has two options: Stay silent and hope someone helps, or enlist the aid of the Mockingbirds-a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of the student body.

In this account of a teenage girl''s search for her voice and the courage to use it, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that standing up for someone, especially yourself, is worth the fight.

Review:
It all starts off on the first page: A very dramatic page that tells the story of a very confused, scared girl in denial.
The story is about a girl who after trying to piece things together, then going through denial, and questioning her entire life takes a stand for herself and by doing so takes a stand for many others who have gone through what she has gone through.
Because the only thing Alex really want it to get back to normal she decided to not go to the police and instead take it…well…underground I guess you could say. I couldn’t help relate to this. I have never been through anything like what Alex has gone through but I do know that when something bad generally happens to me I wish I could go back to a normalcy and find myself struggling trying to define what is normal and where it can be found. We probably all do. And when something bad happens we usually find that it has invaded every part of our life and it seems like no where is safe. That is why sometimes we just need justice. Maybe not for future individuals, or punishment/revenge, but to reclaim our live. And that is the story that Daisy Whitney portrays in her profound novel: A girl trying to claim her life, something that was stolen from her.
The novel had me sitting up straight with my nose almost touching the inner spine of the book just wanting to get closer. I found myself cringing at the details of the incident as Alex’s random memories hit her at the most inconvenient of times.
After reading the book that I just clung to, and almost ruined the pages from having gripped so hard, I found out that the reason the visions and emotions seemed so real was that Whitney experience it herself. What happened to Alex actually happened to her. And I have to say that I am extremely proud of her to be able to retell her story to the whole world. Although this is the story of Alex this is also the story of Daisy Whitney and I found myself respecting it even more than I would have if I just read it without the author’s background information. If that is even possible.
Be aware…she leaves nothing behind and bares all in this heart wrenching story. I cried, I laughed, and I smiled for Alex.

Good:
Alex…although she believes herself to be weak through the majority of the book, she proves herself very strong.
Martin…what a good man
Maia and T.S…those are some great friends.
Jones…although he doesn’t believe in the Mockingbirds he believes in Alex and justice…that is enough for me

Bad:
Sadly I do have to somewhat agree with Jones. Not that people should solely be able to deal with things themselves but that something like this probably should have gone higher than inner school justice. However, I can’t help seeing Alex’s point…I love my normalcy and dragging other things into it basically guarantees you to never have that again.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall I had no issues with her writing style. It was well articulated and the emotion was carried across beautifully with every written word


Quotes:

“Even though I know Miranda is suppose to jam her heel—she wears leather boots with four-inch spikes in my version—into his shin, sending Caliban to the floor in a crippline mess, I don’t do that.
            Instead, like I’m some sort of primitive creature, an animal operating only on instinct, I whip around, lift my knee and jam it into his balls.
            Henry grabs his crotch and falls to the ground. He moans, the class gasps, and Ms. Peck stands motionless.”—240 

Viewer Type Recommendation:
If you loved To Kill a Mockingbird and love Young adult fiction this is the book for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:
Sarah Dessennovels. It reminds me of all her novels as her characters are all trying to get over something and back to a “normal” state.

Next in the Series:

Read Completely:
Oh ya.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Came by your blog through Goodreads (your event) and wanted to wish you the best on your new blog! Canada represent!

    New follower!
    I'd love if you checked out mine:

    Anna Tee
    http://theburstingbookshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won this book, and the second one as well, in an awesome giveaway not too long ago. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet or even read reviews about it, so I had no idea if they were great novels, so-so or cap. I am so glad that I ran across your review. It makes me very excited to read these. Thanks so much for your review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...