Monday, 30 April 2012

Review: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins


Demonglass
Series:  Hex Hall #2
Author:  Rachel Hawkins
Publisher:  Hyperion Books
Pages:  368
Format:  ebook
Source:  Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:

Well of course I read the first one and loved it. Then I thought I would read something else, but naturally I couldn’t take my mind off the series and seeing as I already had the second and third in the series I decided to power on through it. Thankfully

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They're demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

Review:

I wanted to hug this novel while I spun around like they do in all those lovely tampon commercials. I was so immensely wrapped up in this novel that I even read it while at work. Shhhh…don’t tell my boss. The first novel Hex Hall was great! But this one was even better. This one is the one where I fell in love with Archer. And now I am completely torn between him and Cal. Its like Twilight all over again. The story was filled with more adventure, more romance, more information on EVERYTHING. I found in the first novel that I couldn’t fall in love with Archer. Although, yes I could see Sophie loved him, I just didn’t fall for him. But in this novel there is more of Archer, more history and more sarcasm. I loved it. I love a boy with attitude. Yet, I still love Cal. I think he still holds a large part in the upcoming novel. Not to mention he talks more in the novel, he and Sophie get to know each other more, he cracks jokes, and you finally see some emotions form him—Jealously, anger….all the sexy stuff. However, I thought Cal would have a bigger set of cahonies and try and flirt or talk more with Sophie. Oh God! I hope I’m not losing my love for Cal.
I found Rachel Hawkins truly developed not only her characters in the novel but the overall story and the world of Prodigium. There were more stories, more secrets, more revealed and we finally leave Hecate Hall to see Prodigium outside of the school and the island, and it’s a whole other world.

Good:

Sophie: This girl has more sarcasim than might be able to handle. But she is funny
Archer: I fell in love with him the novel. More bad boy…more nice guy
Cal: Still love him and his outdoorness, his muscles, his good and empressive powers, his kindness, his plaid.
Sophie’s Dad: I would love to have a Dad like him. He knows a good joke when he hears one and is actually trying to do what is best for his daughter as well as spend time with her even after not seeing her for 16 years. Made me want to cry several times

Bad:

Only thing would have been more Cal and Sophie to make this a real epic love triangle, but I could be speaking basely.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I found an extremely positive change in Rachel Hawkins’ writing and world that she created. Not that there was anything wrong with her old one this on just surprisingly surpassed the first one. Which in many series is quiet a shocker. I could picture Archer and Sophie stumbling around in the middle of the forest. I loved picturing Cal offering to throw Sophie off the cliff and into the pond and carrying her up to the peak. I love the way that Hawkins can easily create a fantastic image in my mind with only a few worlds never leading you away from what she actually means or intends to covey across to her audience but still allowing them to create some of the world and the pictures themselves.  Overall this book was a joy that I will permanently keep on my shelf. On to the next one!

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes from Demonglass

Previously in the Series:

Hex Hall <-Click for my review

Next In the Series:

Spell Bound -> Click for my Review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

A paranormal and/or young adult lover would love this.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Demon Trapper’s Daughter (aka Forsaken ) by Jana Oliver, The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade,  Forgive my Fins by Tera Lynn Childs, Dead is Series by Marlene Perez, The Immortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot.

Read Completely:
Oh yes.

Now for people out there who have only read this book of the series, or hey even those who have read the entire series, what team are you on?


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins 
Hex Hall by Rachel HawkinsArcher



Or Cal?


Click on the lovely team button to be taken to the website of the wonderful creator who made them!

I was on team Cal last book. But now I'm confused. So I guess I'm cheering for both teams.

Make sure to add this one to your shelves!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great series. I hated the evil cliffhanger at the end of this one, though, it was one of the worst I read in 2011. I have to say, if I were picking for myself I'd pick Cal. He's the better person. However, since its Sophie were choosing for I'd have to say Archer is the better match. She seems to truly love him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...