Monday, 2 April 2012

Review: Fair Game by Patricia Briggs


Fair Game
Series: Alpha & Omega #3
Author: Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Ace Books
Pages:  293
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

I started reading the Mercy Thompson series and found out that this is a split off from that series. Needless to say I’ve loved them.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

They say opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son-and enforcer-of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant alpha. While Anna, an omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind.
Now that the werewolves have revealed themselves to humans, they can''t afford any bad publicity. Infractions that could have been overlooked in the past must now be punished, and the strain of doing his father''s dirty work is taking a toll on Charles.
Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston, when the FBI requests the pack''s help on a local serial killer case. They quickly realize that not only the last two victims were werewolves-all of them were. Someone is targeting their kind. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer''s sights...

Review:

Anna and Charles are back, and it seems that Anna is basically “fixed” if that’s what you can call it. Years have passed since she and Charles came together and now Anna is living a basically normal life...for a werewolf...and Charles’ mate...and daughter-in-law of the Merrick...and being an omega. I know it sounds so simply. But now, it’s Charles that is hurting. His job is weighing down on him. This novel was a clever twist to the usual tale were Charles is saving Anna to Anna saving Charles. Like always they are the most in love couple that somehow manage to understand each other with not understanding each other at all. If that makes any sense...which it probably doesn’t. But still as much as I shook my head saying “Oh, Charles” or “Oh, Anna” I said them with a smile. What can I say I love the world of Mercy Thompson and I love the world of Alpha and Omega

Good:

Anna and Charles: Still figuring each other out, but clearly meant for each other.
Bran: More Bran! He is the only thing that I always felt was missing for the Mercy Thompson series, and now we finally get some more info in this series, and in this series even Bran gets a wake-up call.
The animalism of it all. I love the wolf sides, the extra features being a Were, and when the animal instincts take over.

Bad:

As always to me her writing can sometimes be a bit confusing and sometimes I had to re-read, but nothing too series.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I loved it. I loved the bad guys in this story because they were both so real and so mystical. There was a mixture of reality and fantasy in this novel and although the allusion were hidden behind the prejudices against other species (if they were to exist in our world like they do in these novels) the meaning was clear: there is too much prejudice in the world and not enough acceptance. Patricia Briggs paints a beautiful picture of a world in the middle of a struggle and what some humans don’t understand with regards to the fae and what some far don’t understand about the difference between society and human kind.

Previously in the Series:
Hunting Grounds #2


Next In the series:
Unknown at this time

Viewer Type Recommendation:
If you like a paranormal adult novel.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Read Completely:
Yes

Make sure to add this series to your shelf!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. First time I've heard of the series. The characters sound fab so hopefully I'll get a chance to pick this up when I lift my head out of the YA cloud. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I jumped into the Alpha and Omega series without reservation because I loved the premise. Normally I'm wary about an author writing more than one series around the same time. Is one series going to be cobbled together while the "main" series gets all the attention? (That's what I wonder sometimes.) But with Patricia Briggs (and Ilona Andrews for that matter), I didn't have that worry. That's the mark of an excellent writer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...