Saturday, 28 April 2012

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Hex Hall
Series:  Hex Hall #1
Author:  Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages:  323
Format:  Paperback
Source:  Ordered!

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

Probably because its called Hex Hall. Also I saw it on someone else’s shelf and fell in love with it the cover. Then when I started seeing review for the third book in the series I knew it must be good.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father an elusive European warlock only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Review:

Everything about this book was good. Even down to the feel of the pages. Crazy right? But, even the paper on this book felt nice so lets just say I was happy to turn the pages and run my hand over the fresh new one on the other side. Rachel Hawkins takes you into a beautiful world full of the mystical where even the things we see as monsters are hunted.  In a world hungry for power and different races/species at each other throats and everyone believing their race is better than the others we meet Sophie whom, being raised by humans, doesn’t see their species or race but who they actually are and judges them from there like everyone really should. So Sophie befriend the hated Vampire, get detention, and do the typical thing of falling for the hot boy on campus who happens to have a girlfriend all on her first day.  And of course she is the worst witch having never been taught anything other than what she found in books her mother read to prepare them for what was coming on her 12th birthday. Lets add in a little pinch of an absent father and you have someone trying to go well but making a lot of mistakes, and someone who has no clue about herself. I loved it. I loved all the teen angst and emotions, and the princesses that Sophie manages to put in their places with a few well placed words. Then there is Archer the guy that Sophie falls in love with. And I don’t blame her. He’s the kind of guy you love to fight with and someone who has a sense of humour, which doesn’t seem to come along a lot in Hecate Hall. Hawkins knows how to create a world that makes you smile, makes you wonder, surprises you and in general makes you wish you were a part of it. Bad decorations and all.

Good:

Sophie: Although a little slow on picking some stuff up at times she’s still pretty awesome
Archer: Hot. Funny. And very very sexy. Also a bad boy. Love the combination
Cal: I know Cal plays a bigger part in the series. Many I just fell it, but its probably because I’ve also seen some team Archer and Team Cal buttons out there. Not to mention he’s completely hot, handy, and an all around good guy.
Sophie’s Dad: I can’t wait to meet him. He is going to be an awesome character and probably throw in some good twists.

Bad:

Not really much to say here other than I wanted more to happen! Not that I was ever left bored. Oh no. I loved it all I just want more

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I had no issues with Rachel Hawkins’ writing skills. I never got confused, jumbled or had to look back a couple of pages to refresh my mind. On the contrary I went ahead at blazing speeds and loved it all. I could picture Sophie and Archer in the cellar a smile on their faces as he catches the pen she threw at him in mock dislike. I could feel the sexy tension. I could feel the way she described power rushing up from her feet like water. I think best of all is that I loved the twist that Hawkins put on the tale of fallen angels. I loved the idea of the three angels turned away from Heaven each fled to different parts of the world and helped create Vampires, Fairies, and Witches. Very very cool.

Quotes:

Click here for my favourite quotes from Hex Hall

Next In the Series:

Demonglass <-Click to bring you to my review
Spell Bound -> Click to view my review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

A paranormal and/or young adult lover would love this.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Demon Trapper’s Daughter (aka Forsaken ) by Jana Oliver, The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade,  Forgive my Fins by Tera Lynn Childs, Dead is Series by Marlene Perez, The Immortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot.

Read Completely:
Oh yes

Now for people out there who have only read this book of the series, or hey even those who have read the entire series, what team are you on?


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins 
Hex Hall by Rachel HawkinsArcher



Or Cal?


Click on the lovely team button to be taken to the website of the wonderful creator who made them!

I’m on team Cal and there is a couple of reasons for it. 1. He’s a powerful white witch which means in my opinion he is going to end up helping Sophie concern any deep evil emotions or tendencies that she has. 2. He is extremely hot and built like a jock. What can I say I have a type. 3. Even better is that he first my type perfectly…he dresses like a farmer boy, with all his plaid and whatnot. Very very sexy in my opinion. 4. And obviously very intimidating with his muscles and axe. Love him. I hope I’m right but no one ruin it for me!


Maks sure to add this one to your shelf!


Photobucket

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...