Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Review: The Rivals by Daisy Whitney

The Rivals
Series: The Mockingbirds #2
Author:  Daisy Whitney
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Pages:  344
Format: Hardcover
Source:  Purchased!

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

I read the first book in the series and loved it so I had to grab the second one when it came out

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

When Alex Patrick was assaulted by another student last year, her elite boarding school wouldn't do anything about it. This year Alex is head of the Mockingbirds, a secret society of students who police and protect the student body. While she desperately wants to live up to the legacy that's been given to her, she's now dealing with a case unlike any the Mockingbirds have seen before.

It isn't rape. It isn't bullying. It isn't hate speech. A far-reaching prescription drug ring has sprung up, and students are using the drugs to cheat. But how do you try a case with no obvious victim? Especially when the facts don't add up, and each new clue drives a wedge between Alex and the people she loves most: her friends, her boyfriend, and her fellow Mockingbirds.

As Alex unravels the layers of deceit within the school, the administration, and even the student body the Mockingbirds protect, her struggle to navigate the murky waters of vigilante justice may reveal more about herself than she ever expected.

Review:

Well…this one had me on one rollercoaster of a ride. I was bouncing up and down from hating it to loving it and from hating Alex to appreciating her. It’s the year that Alex needs to discover the new her: The leader of the Mockingbirds and lets just say she tends to have some trouble doing this. She’s went from being the girl who went unnoticed to the one that everyone talks about and she’s having some issues dealing with the spotlight and all the pressure. So would I. Imaging holding someone’s dreams in your hands. Because at Themis people come for their dreams and if someone files charges against you with the Mockingbird you risk loosing those dreams. Even though the system was made by the students and for the students this novel demonstrates that all forms of societies/governments have flaws and those flaws are the people and the emotions that run them. Daisy Whitney takes you from the perspective of a girl that was raped and trying to find justice to one that is trying to figure out what is just and how much say someone really should have in your life. Like Alex I was confused about the morals and the lines that should and should not be crossed. Would you snoop and try your best friend? Or should you just trust them and know that they did the right thing, because they are after all your best friends. And then this novel had me questioning how far I would go for something I really loved. If I loved piano the way she did would I do anything to protect my hands or gain a better edge? Ou this novel raised many questions and emotions and had me confused about government, morals, and society right along with her.  Another emotionally compelling novel by Daisy Whitney.

Good:

Martin: as all ways the superhero was awesome. Even his flaws are awesome. Even his nerdyness and talking about animals is sexy.
Jones: I like Jones. I wonder what role he will have in the next book.
Alex: Overall, she’s trying to do her best and has a lot on her plate

Bad:

Alex:  I know, I know. I just said she was a part of the good and she is but she contributes to the part in the middle of the book where I was just overall mad. Alex is confused…but confused or not I don’t accept some of her reactions or thinking. And too be honest I thought at some points she was being a little childish. You would think that going through something like rape would make you act more mature and think about things before you say them.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I love Whitney’s writing style. There were no flaws that I noticed and I had no issues keeping pace with her writing. And I love the subjects that she takes on. They’re not some small petty issue like boyfriend or best friend issues (although all of those do happen within the book) she writes about true life altering events like Rape, abuse, cheating, and drug use, and setting firm morals identifying the importance of people above self wants. This was a good read. One that I am happy I purchased so it can now sit proudly on my shelf.

Quotes:

“Yes. He’s freaking out and crying,” he says.
“He’s crying?”
Martin nods. “Makes me sick. Dudes shouldn’t cry unless it involves dead pets or dead people.”

“As you see, context is everything and nothing at the same time. Words stand alone and with each other.”

Previously in the Series:

Next In the Series:
Unannounced as of right now

Viewer Type Recommendation:
If you love something that does play off and go off the morals of Harper Lee’s To Kill and Mockingbird than this is for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:
Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig, Sarah Dessen Novels, The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks, maybe even some Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants…just maybe.

Read Completely:
Yes


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...