Monday, 21 May 2012

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire



Beautiful Disaster
Author:  James McGuire
Publisher: Createspace
Pages:  356
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
View/Purchase:  The Book Depository, Goodreads

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

This was recommended to me and I left it on my shelf for quite some time before I randomly picked it up last night at about 8pm.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

Review:

OH. MY. GOD! Oh my God. Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. This book was mind blowing. I picked it up last night at 8pm and couldn’t put down until 5 am this morning when I finished it. Then I woke up thinking about it.
Basically its about two messed up people who can’t turn down a dare and then realize, without being able to admit it to one another, how much they cannot live without each other.
Around about page 2 I fell in love with Travis Madox. Here is how I envisioned him.

A little bit of this guy,

And a little bit of David Beckham

Maybe a little bit of this guy too.

Oh and lets throw some Channing Tatum in there for good measure.

And then you have a recipe that will equal Travis Maddox.
A.K.A The sexiest, baddest bad boy, who just happens to be completely messed up. I guess you would call that a Hot Mess. Yes, sounds about right.
By page 100 I was like…”What? This is only page 100? What the else could possible happen? So many things have happened I cannot fathom something else actually happening. This is crazy. I love it.”
By page 200 I was more along the lines of “Oh my god! There is still 100+ pages of this goodness. I have no clue what else will happen but man this is one crazy rollercoaster ride of emotions.”
By page 320-ish. I was crying. I thought that this book was so crazy so far that only something extremely crazy would could happen and I didn’t want to see it happen. I actually cried while my heart raced in my chest. Then I was about to put the book down. I was whispering “No. No! No, no, no! That cannot happen. I can’t read this anymore. This is crazy!” At which point I stopped trying to drop it onto my bed (unsuccessfully) and jumped right back on the bed and got back in there.
This is the best most messed up relationship in the world. At one point I was actually thinking that this was unhealthy and the author was going to do something that drove them away because this was an extremely unhealthy dependent relationship. But then I kept going because I couldn’t see any other way that he could write. In my mind they had to be together…they had to work out their crazy. It took me through so many turns I think I have whiplash.
This was by far one of the best romance novels I’ve ever read in my life. My heart is still racing and my cheeks are still strained from smiling.
How is this not being made into a movie?

Good:

Abby Abernathy: First off the name is awesome. Second she is very innocent, independent, doesn’t put up with bullshit and has a plan. Ya that goes flying out the window the moment she meets Travis.

Travis: Crazy. Hot. Crazy hot. An underground fighter. A genius—seriously. A womanizer. Everything Abby should stay away from. Everything every girl should always stay away from. P.S he dances and sings. He also makes the best toast in the world and he is not afraid to hit someone, defend people he cares about, and throw you over his shoulder. *Swoon

Bad:

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the story was fantastic. I’ve never experienced a writer who could pack so much into so little and not have it distract from the actual story. I could not put this book down. I am only sad that it took me soo long to discover it. Now what is going to happen? Now I am going to read her other book. Because how could it not be awesome?

Quotes:

Click here to see some of my favourite quotes from this novel.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love romance. If you loved messed up people. If you love crazy. Then this book will be one you sleep with.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantasky—maybe, and probably the Sarah Dessen novels.

Read Completely:
Oh my lordy yes.

Make sure to pick yourself up a copy of this!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this does sound good. I've read a review by another blogger, tipping me off to the goodness of this one. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you catch up on that missed sleep. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too but my review of it doesn't reflect that much. I copied my review thought you might want to peek it...

    HOW TO TELL IF YOUR PARTNER IS ABUSIVE :
    Does your partner:
    • Have a bad and unpredictable temper?
    • Hurt you, or threaten to hurt or kill you?
    • Threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
    • Say he/she can’t live without you?
    • Force you to have sex?
    • Destroy belongings?
    • Act excessively jealous and possessive?
    • Constantly check up on you?
    • Never want you to leave his/her side?

    “Beautiful Disaster” is like a car wreck blocking half the road. You don’ want to jam traffic up any more than it already is but you can’t help but to slow down and take a look at all the damage that was done.

    It was impossible for me to put the book down until the very end. It was as if McGuire herself has somehow found her way into my memories I had locked away long ago yet somehow my own self preservation will never let me forget. So for me Beautiful Disaster was my car wreck. I had no choice but to slow down and look for the damage throughout. Only where I never saw a happy ending— it seems Abby get hers. I was split in two; the romantic side of me was in complete ahh. However, the realistic side of me was latterly spent a massive amount of time yelling at my kindle.

    Yes the story is a fictitious one and I know this, yet McGuire breaths so much truth and life into the fabric of the pages it made my stomach churn in fear as I held my breath waiting for the turn of the page where Travis would finally snap and all hell would break loose in Abby’s world.

    Travis is the male lead that you want to hate, love and feel sympathy for. His womanizing ways made me sick. His rash temper and possessiveness made me hate him. Then when his past is revealed, I had a wave of sympathy for him but I couldn’t get past his personality.

    NOTE TO ALL READERS: VISIT ANY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE WEBSITES FOR THE SIGNS TO TELL IF YOUR PARTNER IS ABUSIVE!!!

    Then there is Abby— Don’t even get me started. I was once in her shoes. She might have got her happy ending but if the story continues and for all young adult readers worldwide I pray the McGuire will continue. But how long can Abby’s happy ever after last? At some point I the rose colored glasses that have been warn throughout this book need to be removed. Because I am sorry to say but without meds for Travis and deep, very deep therapy for both Abby and Travis this coupling is headed down a long dark path no woman wants to walk.

    Now let us visit the supporting characters or should I say blind enablers. It’s supposed to be the ones on the outside of the relationship looking in that sees the relationship for what it is because they are not wearing the rosy glasses. It seems as though America has a death wish for her best friend. Who the hell needs a friend like that? Not Abby that much is clear. However, in the beginning Shapley, Travis cousin was the only one with brains trying to keep Abby clear if him. Then somewhere along the line his stupid ass drank the Kool-aide and dawned his own rosy glasses.

    It may seem as though I am hating on Beautiful Disaster’s but I’m not. It is a story that needs to be told and at this point needs to continue. Because yes some woman drink the Kool-Aide while wearing rosy glasses and think they can save the one they love and in the end they can’t.

    Travis has some redeemable characteristic but in reality that is not enough. The story sends a powerful message but not the one I was expecting. It has a fairy-tale ending and that bothers me. Knowing my own daughters and young impressionable girls around the world are reading this and may one day find them self’s in the same situation and think they too can have the fair-tale ending they read about.

    My advice… Parents talk to your sons and daughters before or after reading this. Advise them of the dangers and signs of an abusive partner. It could one day save their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book!
    Glad you enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i now sooo have to read this book sounds like an awesome read will have to se eif the lib has it ty for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO SO SO SO Agree!!Best book I have read in so long. Saw it on itunes for $4.99 and thought, "what the hell..." could not put it down for two days. just finished my second go around last night.... yes that's twice in 2 weeks! Travix Maddox is my dream man. "Dream" being the operative word. I don't actually think I could handle the mood swings, but boy it would be a fun ride :) So awesome to hear someone else loving it as much as me!! Please be a movie, and please hurry with "Walking disaster" Jamie!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourites too, it's stuck with me since i read it.
    -R.H

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...