Saturday, 26 May 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
Series:  Lux #1
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages:  299
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Rating
 


Reason chosen:  

I had heard a lot of good things about this novel and saw many positive reviews.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review:

Daemon is a tool. A seriously sexy, cocky tool. I can understand why her head is so confused and her body just wants to give in. There is definitely enough heat in this book to make you want to stand in front of an open fridge while reading it. I knew I was going to like this book from the moment he opened the door. Actually I take that back. The first chapter she speaks about how she has a blog and how her mother just doesn’t understand her love of books. She was preaching to the choir over here. Right about there I was like “I love it. Sold.” Then, when I started to really get further into it and my eyes were dodging back and forth over all the banter and pent up tension between Katy and Daemon I wanted to put the book down, start a slow clap and just say “Good for you.” Some of it was for Katy not putting up with his crap and sometimes it was for Jennifer L. Armentrout having created some seriously awesome characters who so obviously need to be together, but at the same time you can’t get enough of their bickering.
Obsidian pulls you into your own word and questions the reality of Alien and their existence and make you question, like I Am Number whether or not we would actually know of their existence and what they would really do if they came here. If they were all as hot as Daemon I would say come right on over. I would actually hold the runway lights waving in their space ships attempting to direct traffic.  She write up a pretty world…one that I wouldn’t mind being a part of.

Good:

Katy: mainly because she sticks up for herself, her friends and she knows how to throw one mean bowl of spaghetti.

Dee: she reminds me of an Alice character. She’s innocent, nice and just wants to be friends with Katy. I hope she gets a happy ending and meets someone she really likes

Daemon: Obviously hot and he knows it. Complete ass. But knows how to flirt, get his way and has abs you want to rub up against and eyes you would like to melt into.

Bad:

There wasn’t really anything bad about this book. You do however have to pay close attention to everything otherwise you might get confused or miss something.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I loved her characters. I loved the story line (refreshing from the Angels, Demons, and witches and whatnot that I am use to). I lover her comedy and humor and that she wasn’t afraid to make Katy some character would can throw around a mean middle finger and walk away with her dignity. The only thing I would say is that during the climatic end I wasn’t 100% sure what was going on. You never know, maybe I wasn’t suppose to, but I was confused by the description and ended up just stumbling over it and letting it work itself out. Still something I’m keeping on my shelf and something you should add to yours. One to curl up with next to a nice cold freezer while you fan yourself.

Quotes:

Click here to check out some of my favourite quotes!

Previously In the series:

Shadows (#0.5)->Click for review

Next In the Series:

Onxy (#2)->Click for review

Opal (#3)-> Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you like an Alien book, if you like Roswell the old TV series, and if you like guys that are a royal pain in the ass read this.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, Providence by Jamie McGuire, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Storm by Brigid Kemmerer, Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers, Crave by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Hush Hush series by Beeca Fitzpatrick, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Mortal Instrument and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare

Read Completely:
Yes, yes

Book Trailer:


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Ah! Surprisingly I haven't read this yet!
    She is such a great author though.
    I just got an ARC of her new book, Cursed in the mail and I love it!
    I need to hurry up and read Obsidian too! haha.
    :]
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best series evah!! Opal is tooooo far away:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to start this sereis, I have Shadows and this one on my kindle ready to read, just need to finish a few review copies first that need done, then will squeeze it in, I can read 2 books at once pretty well, but seems when I read any by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Half-Blood and Pure, yummy Aiden and Seth, lol) i get sidetracked and can't stop reading the Jennifer book, lol. Great review. I see you liked it. If you have not read her Covenant series (Half-Blook, Daimon and Pure) then you should :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's official, I need to read this series! I keep seeing this everywhere, I feel like I'm missing out! ;) Great review, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...