Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Review: Providence By Jamie McGuire



Providence
Series:  Providence #1
Author: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Jamie McGuire
Pages:  326
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
View/Purchase:  Goodreads

Rating

Reason chosen:  

I read Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and I thought it was brilliant so I had to give her other books a chance. Because how could they not be great?

Summary taken from Goodreads:

In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.

Review:

Alright, so I had high expectations after reading Beautiful Disaster and the book did not fail. The book doesn’t come off the same way as it does through reading the synopsis. Be warned it doesn’t feel like a novel about Heaven and Hell and Demons. No the majority of this novel is a romance. One guy has who has always been around and one girl who never knew it. And the things is you fall in love with Jared from about…well I wouldn’t say the first time you meet him but maybe the second. At first while I was reading this I thought that they were falling in love all too fast, but when things finally get to be explained then you just seem to understand and if anything you love it even more. This book, like Beautiful Disaster, made me cry, laugh, smile uncontrollably, and some times shakes my head thinking “what the hell are they doing?” But when Jared and Nina go on vacation to the middle of buckshot no where well, I thought it was the most beautiful vacation in the world. The book had my head spinning like her other book and my emotions were all over the place. Is it normal to cry in public while reading? Yes? No? Hmmm…
At one point I was scared that the love triangle between Jared, Nina, and Ryan was going to be like the one from Twilight and to be honest I really didn’t want that. Thankfully…it wasn’t. Phew! But no matter what this book is definitely a keep and Jamie McGuire has yet to fail my expectation

Good:

Nina Grey: She loves her people. And she wants to always take care of them
Ryan: By far the sweetest guy in the world. Although he does stupid things sometimes to prove himself.

Claire: Claire is like the modern day Nikita. Or Elektra maybe. Or Wonder Woman.

Jared: Jared is the sexiest Hybrid. And I imagine him to have the absolute best smile in the world. Even when the guy is stunned happy and they’re mouth is hanging open. Ya even then he would have the big smile I’ve ever seen. He’s tall, he works out, he’s good at what he does, he LOVES Nina, drives a motorcycle, owns his own business, and on top of it all he’s a fantastic dresser.  Jamie McGuire posted on her facebook page that Garrett Hedlund would be a good Jared.





Oh yes please!
And add in GCB and Shameless' Tyler Jacob Moore's smile….or maybe just him too.



Bad:

So far I’ve found that the main men in Jamies’ books happen to be very very much in love with the main women in her book. It’s a little scary sometimes and borders on the obsessed level but it always seems to fit and I can’t even get mad at the girls for being in love with them or get mad at the guys either.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I did find some of this book a little confusing at time. Only because Jamie doesn’t seem to explain that one second they are in his loft and the next they are at the bank. So it does get a little confusing but then you kind of just figure it out. What I like is how Jamie can get the humour across in her writing and the emotions of the characters. She also really knows how to bring across emotions through the eyes of her characters—literally. Overall, I loved this book and I am happy that I started reading it when the last book finally came out. Because now I can enjoy them all in one week.

Quotes:

Click here to check out some of my favourite quotes!

Next In the Series:

Requiem ->Click for my review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

Angel lovers, paranormal lovers, and lovers of love.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Sarah Dessen novels, Storm by Brigid Kemmerer.

Read Completely:
But of course.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, just wanted to tell you, Ӏ enjoyеd this
    post. It waѕ helρful. Кеep on postіng!


    Fеel frеe to vіѕit my ωеblοg ::
    what Are nootropics
    Here is my website ; improve cognitive ability

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...