Sunday, 13 May 2012

Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer


Storm
Series:  The Elemental Series #1
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Corp.
Pages:  353 (Not including the attached novella and sneak peek)
Format: Paperback
Source:  Purchased from the good old book depository

Rating: 



Reason chosen:  

I saw so many reviews flying through my mailbox that rated this bad boy a 5/5 for everything. So naturally I hunted it down (as, shockingly, it was not available at my local book store) and ordered it.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys--all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her.
Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water--just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all. 
The storm is coming…

Review:

Oh my giddy-aunt I love this book! This is the sort of book that you crawl into the corner of the couch with, pull up your legs and bring all your limbs as close together as possible, then commence drumming your fingers against your bottom lip while you smile like you have some hidden secret. No really…I did that at one point. I also gasped out loud (a lot), smiled, giggled, and clapped multiple times while reading this book. I may have also hit a dear friend that was sitting beside me while I was reading this book out of pure joy. It should come with a warning: “The happiness resulting from this book may cause irrational violence”. Sort of like the warning when you’re about to play a Wii game about needing to stand so far away.
Let me break it down for you: 5 hot guys, one girl. 1-girl who saves 1-guy from getting the crap kicked out of him and delivers him to his brothers, including 1-scary older over protective ass-hat of a brothers and 2-(twins) that get into a lot of mischief and sure as hell know how to work their way around some great sarcasm and comebacks, then throw in 1-goth/rebel like guy who happens to wear a lot of jewellery and who, within 30 seconds of meeting said girl, make this girl swoon because of his Krav Maga hotness, and who sort of gets on the nerve of guy #1 who happens to also not be able to get girl #1 out of his head. Throw in some daddy issues and one seriously bad choice that happened 6 weeks ago and you have a stew for greatness. Intimidating at first with its close to 400 pages (over 400 with the novella and sneak peek) and small writing I actually set this book aside and started on another book before I finally stepped up to the plate and picked this bad boy up.  Lets just say I had no reason to be scared. I was ensnarled with this book from about page…oh….2. I’m not 100% sure how to describe it other than all the teen angst, teen insecurity, sarcasm, wit, banter, and sexy boys just made this into a book that is definitely going to be sitting on my stop shelf (where all my absolute favourites are). I cannot wait for the next in the series. No seriously…I can’t I’ve already pre-purchased it via The Book Depository.

Good:

Becca: Brave, yet scared too. But that doesn’t stop her.

Chris Merrick: If he looks anything like he does on the cover he is extremely hot. But apparently all the Merrick boys are, as the throw around extremely heavy top spoil bags for a living…it must define a lot of muscles.  Not to mention he thinks only about Becca and how all he wants to do is wrap her in his arms. Then he goes and does something like sticks up for her and gets detention because of it and I was sold.

Gabriel Merrick: obviously the seriously mad boy out of the bunch (I say seriously because they all tend to be a little bad) who knows that he looks good and loves to flaunt it. Also the sportive one of the bunch who uses the fact that he and his brother are identical to his benefit (i.e be on two varsity soccer teams at once under different names). Ouuuu!!!…shame on you Gabriel. You sexy thing.

Nicolas Merrick: apparently the genius and light headed one of the family. That is saying a lot considering he is generally found right along side his brother pulling some decent pranks and razzing their younger brother Chris.

Michael Merrick: Although the pony tail threw me a bit it was his ass-hatness that threw me even more but in the end Michael Merrick was seen as just as tough and hot as his brothers through my eyes.

Hunter: obviously the sexiest rebel like child we’ve ever seen. Swift, strong, and a deep down nice guy. If that didn’t get you then his dog Casper sure will.

Bad: 

So…I thought and thought about what I would put here and I guess there was only one thing to do with the book. In the beginning I loved Chris, somewhere in the middle not so much, then in the end I loved him again. Perhaps it was what Kemmerer was going for? For us to mirror good old Becky’s feelings? Well all and all there should have been more Chris and Becca…mainly them making out…but there are more books to come so you never know. *Fingers crossed

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I love Brigid Kemmerer. Her being a new writer I wasn’t sure what to expect, but then when the reviews kept rolling in and I didn’t see anything other than a 5/5 I had to see what she was all about. Her writing style is beautiful. Its not confusing and like so many others she bring her humour across beautifully. But I think the shocker is that she can do it with so many characters…so many male characters especially. The book was paced perfectly with action around ever corner and the meaningful reflective moments and romantic moments exactly where it felt they should be. This series is one that will be highly loved for readers across the world.
So I’ve looked forward and into the other books in the series and I am delighted to see that the next one in the series is all about Gabriel, and of course the novella “Elemental” is all about Michael, this one, Storm, is all about Chris, but then I was surprised to see the third one will be about Hunter. Um….what happened to Nicky? Come on there has to be a Nick book. P.s. Nick and Quinn…oh ya its going to happen.

Quotes:

There could be SO many quotes that I could put here but I will stop myself and only put a few. Just little teasers that will make you want to read the book without giving it all away.

Click here to view my favourite quotes from Storm by Brigid Kemmerer.

Previously in the Series:

Elemental (The Elemental Series #0.5)->Click to read my review!

Next In the Series:


Fearless (The Elemental Series #1.5) E.T.A= August 28th 2012
Spark (The Elemental Series #2) ->Click to review my review! E.T.A= August 28th 2012

Spirit (The Elemental Series #3) E.T.A= May 2013

These lovely banners are courtesy of i'mlovingbooks.com. -> Click to be brought to her mini-series banners and be sure to check out her Team Buttons.


Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of books filled with Hot guys who can control the elements and fight for your honor…pick this one up.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, Hush Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Read Completely:
Oh yes yes yes.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful review! Much better than mine! LOL. I'm just getting started in the whole book reviewing thing and I love the format of yours!
    bjliebner@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...