Thursday, 17 May 2012

Review: Underworld by Meg Cabot


Underworld
Series:  Abandon #2
Author:  Meg Cabot
Publisher:  Point
Pages:  322
Format:  Hardcover
Source:  Pre-ordered

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

I have always been a big fan of Meg Cabot… I’m pretty sure I’ve read all of her Young Adult books, and even some of her other ones. So naturally when Abandon came out I picked it up the first day and so far I’m loving the series.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn't dead.
Not this time.
But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.
Her captor, John Hayden, claims it's for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they've come back as Furies, intent on vengeance...on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.
But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there...and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.
And unless Pierce is careful, this time there'll be no escape.

Review:

Ah….John Hayden. The hottest bad boy with some serious anger management issue. But here’s the thing…after reading this novel I’ve realized that John is changing. That Pierce is making him change. He has more of a grip on his anger issues now and he truly loves her because even though he knows he shouldn’t he does things for her when she asks even when he knows it will lead to something bad. Although the idea of being the Lord of the Underworld has still gone to his head a bit I am happy to see the change that John is undergoing. And Pierce…she seems to be undergoing some changes too becoming a little bit stronger. And this entire book is about a couple who is so complete in love that they misinterpret each other’s feelings and actions, walk around on egg shell with each other, and forgive each other for everything. Although this novel left me with some answers and a lot of questions I still love this series and I still have high hopes for it.
Basically everything happen in the span of about a little over 24 hours which is what I thought was a little weird, that and the fact that there isn’t much action in the this novel compared to the previous one. Although, there is still a lot of action…and a lot of heat. But sometimes I find myself asking how is the author going to get out of this situation? And Underworld had me asking how Meg Cabot is going to write her way out of this corner. Not that I don’t think she can I just have no clue how she will do it. Will John and Pierce be together? Will Pierce stay with him in the underworld? Oh so many questions and only one more book to go until they are finally all answered. Dear me. What will I do?

Good:

Pierce: filled with sarcasm, bravery, and general love for John, her family, and friends. She makes you want to help out more in the community and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

John: Filled with concern for Pierce and gets angry when he doesn’t know how to talk and/or express himself he is constantly worried that he will do something, or reveal something he has done, to Pierce and make her hate him.

Hope: the most understanding and expressional Dove you’ve ever met. I like her attitude.

Henry, Frank and the Crew: Awesome. Capitan

Bad:

Not as much action as I thought there would be. I thought that there would more than her first one, although there are a lot of furies I expected something like an epic battle to happen and preparation for an epic battle I guess.  That and I some times wondering if John is go for Pierce but then I realize they need each other and slowly they are both becoming better people.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I still love Meg Cabot and her writing. She’s funny and her characters are generally innocent, and she knows what its like to be a girl. Like how a girl can conveniently lose some of her memory after making out with a guy. Yup…we’ve all done it.

Quotes:

Click here to view some of my favourite quotes! 

Previously in the Series:

Abandon -> Click for my review

Next In the Series:

Awaken ETA: 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

Meg Cabot lovers.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

1-800-Where-R-U series by Meg Cabot, Mediator series by Meg Cabot, All other Meg Cabot Books, Hush Hush Series by Becca Fitzpatrick, The Ghost and the Goth series by Stacey Kade, Fins series by Tera Lynn Childs.

Read Completely:
Yes


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...