Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Review: Hollyweird by Teri Clark


Hollyweird
Author:  Terri Clark
Publisher: Flux
Pages: 229
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Rating:

Reason chosen:  

I have to admit that the cover caught my eye.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Aly King is about to fall for the fallen
My best friend, Des, and I totally freaked when we won the contest to meet THE Dakota Danvers in Hollywood. But now we're finding out he's SO not the angel everyone believes him to be. In fact, Dakota is the son of Satan, wreaking havoc on Hollywood and creating an evil army hellbent on world domination.
Lucky for us, Dakota's super-cute personal assistant, Jameson, is a fallen angel trying to get his wings back, and he's working undercover to squash his demon boss's plan. If Jameson hadn't taken me under his wing I'd be in serious trouble, because I'm a total newb when it comes to conquering evil. But, truth be told, that sexy angel's got me all aflutter and may be one temptation I can't resist.

Review:

I had high hopes for this novel. Sadly they were not met. It took me long time to read this book but I did finally push through. I found that this book relied more on the dialogue, references, and hipster language than the actual story line. Not to mention if you are an avid reading and movie watch like me you will probably pick up on some stuff that reminds you of movies and other stuff. Basically Aly, Des, and Aly’s sister Missy walk onto the set of their favourite TV show to find it over run with a battle between Heaven and Hell. To be honest that would have been a cool story line but I found there was less seriousness (I know…being serious when talking about Demons and stuff) and more goofy.

Good:

I will admit that if you like The CW’s Supernatural then you are going to love their play list, what the main men look like, and the indirect reference to the show.

Bad:

The story was covered behind corny lines that you would see on a t-shirt, name and brand dropping, hip youngster lingo including made-up languages that leaves you confused and lost, and references both directly and indirectly to other works.
The research for this novel was basically watching Constantine, and The Cw’s Supernatural.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall…it could have done better. There was definitely the potential, that is what drew me to the book in the first place, but unfortunately it lost me in the clutter. I almost felt like this was barely of her own making and replied more on other things that good story telling.

Quotes:

Dakota Danvers had the kind of charisma that made skirts hot the floor and machismo men question their sexuality.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you’re 16 and/or under you would probably appreciate this book more and might actually enjoy the story-line.

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...