Friday, 8 June 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks


Of Poseidon
Series: Of Poseidon #1
Author: Anna Banks
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 326
Format: Hardback
Source: Purchased

Rating: 


Reason chosen:  

It was everywhere. I was flooded with good review so I ordered it where it sat on my shelf for a little while. Then I got a craving to read it.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It's while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.

Review:

How did I miss this book? It was everywhere so I bought it then for some unfathomable reason I let it sit on my shelf for a couple of weeks. Well clearly I should have read this book sooner.
Although I was able to call some key plots in the book it didn’t make it any less interesting to read. In fact I felt like I was anticipating those moments the more I read. Not to mention at one point I was actually convinced that I was wrong. And of course to start things off this book’s first couple of chapters were shocking. I was like “Whoa. That was crazy. Did that just happen? Ohmygod! That just happened!” It was intense, and that folks is how I knew this book was going to be good. What also helped was the fact that it was written in the perspective of both Emma and Galen and I find I always want to read books like that because they’re more in depth, more intense, more interesting. I love it.  

Good:

Emma: She’s a pretty cool chick. She can pack a punch.

Galen: Sexy. And jealous occasionally. And funny. And he apparently a killer smile. And well, just down right dreamy. However, could I say that he is too much a gentlemen? He should have kissed people more often. Oh well there will hopefully be more books in this series.

Rayna: I like this girl. She’s tough and prickly but when you get down to it she’s a girly girl who wants to learn how to drive and have people paint her toe nails.

Toraf: This guy is a smart guy. He knows what he wants and he knows how to get it.

Bad:

Nothing that I can really think of. However, it is a cliff-hanger ending so their better be another one.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall, I loved the book. I have no complaints about Anna Banks’ writing style in fact I will give he compliments. I didn’t expect to laugh on the first page of the book but I did and it all because of her fantastic way of carrying across the humour and he randomly hilarious observations and expression. I couldn’t stop the smiles from spreading across my face while reading the book, even if I wanted to. Which I had no interest in doing. I never had to re-read something to fully understand what Banks was saying although I was made their wasn’t much kissing in it (although everyone was thinking about it) I never felt uneasy about how a situation happened. Overall this is one book I am proud to have on my shelf.

Quotes:

Click here to read some of my favourite quotes.

Next In the Series:

That is the question of the day

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love book of the mermaid variety, about girls with life stories they don’t even know about, if you love the stories when they have to pretend to like each other and realize that they really do, or if you’re a lover of the star-crossed lover books, than crack the spine on this one.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Fins series by Tera Lynn Childs, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, The Ghost and the Goth series by Stacey Kade, Demon Trapper series by Jana Oliver, Jessica series by Beth Fantaskey, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see you enjoyed this so much! I should be getting around to reading it in the next few weeks. Other books always seem to get in the way! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I'm glad you loved it! I really need to get my hands on this book, but until I do I guess I can go around feeling jelous when someone reviews it ;p. Great review!! :)

    ~Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book!!!! I think I gave it four or four and a half. I love Galen, but not just because he's hot and nice and whatever. All of those things are great. But, he's a more likable character than Emma (love the names by the way!). I found Emma a little distasteful sometimes (NOT often). I can't wait to read the next book(s)!!!! I believe the next is called Of Triton. Thanks for the review!!!!

    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very refreshing book! I loved it so much! Can't wait for the second book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I. The ending was such a cliff hanger.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy you liked this....gives me a good feeling that i'd enjoy it since i just got it today.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...