Saturday, 28 July 2012

Review: Just For Fins by Tera Lynn Childs


Just for Fins
Series:  Fins #3
Author:  Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher:  Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 246
Format: Hardcover
Source: Pre-order

Rating: 

Reason chosen:

I love the series and I couldn’t wait for the final book.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

When Lily Sanderson decided to remain Crown Princess Waterlily of the mer kingdom of Thalassinia, she knew she couldn't just coast along in the current. But since she's spent the last couple of years on land, Lily's not sure she has the fins to lead a kingdom. Even her maddeningly pretentious cousin Dosinia seems to know more about ruling than she does.
But Lily has to dive in deep to keep her promise to Tellin, her mer bond in name only, who tells her his kingdom is suffering in the changing ocean climate. Lily knows this is a seven seas sized problem. They''ll need to create some serious waves to make the mer community aware and get it to join together to make things right. Lily has to lead the way, even if that means facing one of the iciest queens in the mer kingdoms.
Just when Lily thinks her double life on land and sea can't get any more complicated, an ancient mer law might separate Lily and her human boyfriend, Quince, after all. It feels as if the pair is up against a solid tsunami wave!
In this third installment in the series that began with Forgive My Fins and Fins Are Forever, Lily will have to find a way to balance safety and justice for the mer people and for the humans she loves.

Review:

Well I had my hopes set really high for this novel. Sadly, I felt the first was the best in the series and the second and final book just didn’t match up to it. Now, perhaps its because the first solely focused on Quince and Lily, and the second faded more to the welfare of the mer-kingdoms, and the finale was almost solely about the future of the mer-kingdoms. I guess there just was not enough love in it for me. I thought there should be seeing as that was what started the series afterall. Not, that there wasn’t any romance. Oh, no. I have no lost my love for Quince. He definitely proves himself in this book, and even Dosinia is growing on me. I also found that in this book there wasn’t as much humour as I was use to. I guess the books began transitioning into a more serious nature throughout the series, and there is nothing wrong with it, but it felt like some key elements were missing that were in the first one. Throughout the series the author did leave me questioning how everything was going to work out and I’m glad to fine her ending fit the series, characters, and situation rather well.

Good:

Lily: Still the same klutzy, frizzy haired, worried Mer-girl that she was from the beginning.

Quince: Top-notch. I love Quince. I love the way he loves Lily. I love love love him.

Dosinia: You are growing on me.

Brody: You are growing on me too.

Bad:

The story line was not what I expected and sadly I had high hopes for this book. It was highly focused on politics and Lily defining her position in the mer-world which was a good, but at some points made the read not so interesting.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing was done very well. I was never confused and there were some moments when I laughed out loud. I just wish there were more. There were some moments when I put the book down and I found I was not as captured with this book as I was with the first two. Although this one, I will have to say, was disappointing for the ending I still love the Tera Lynn Childs as an author and I plan on reading her other series just as soon as I can get my hands on them.

Quotes:

1. Quince only uses my real name in serious situations, like when he’s telling me he loves me or that I’m too good for Brody. Or—I’m guessing now—when a tipped-over a pot of squid ink is seeping across the table.
“It’s in my hair, isn’t it?” I ask, not lifting my head.
“Yeah, its all over—“ Brody grunts as something, maybe an elbow to the ribs, interrupts him.”
“You look beautiful in blue,” Quince says.
“Very…mermaid,” Shannen Offers.
“I’ll get a towel, dear,” Aunt Rachel says.

2. I quickly correct my mistake, and soon I’m driving us out of the parking lot and down the street toward home.
“I’ve got it now,” I insist.
Shannen whimpers as I slam to a halt at the next stop sign. It’s fine. That’s what seat belts are for.

Previously In the series:

Forgive My Fins->Click for Review
Fins Are Forever->Click for Review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love mermaid stories, if you love a good supernatural/paranormal young adult read try this series out.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, Hollyweird by Teri Clark, Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, Storm by Brigid Kemmerer, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Providence by Jamie McGuire, Abandon by Meg Cabot, The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade, Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell, Demon Trapper series by Jana Oliver, Dead is series by Marlene Perez, Jessica series by Beth Fantaskey.

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...