Monday, 2 July 2012

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door


Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author:  Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pages: 338
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating:

Reason chosen: 

It was randomly chosen as my third Random Read for June and sadly I didn’t get a chance to finish it before the end of the month (especially when the end of the month held a large family reunion). So it carried over as my Random Read #1 for July.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Review:

Well holy crap. This book was so cute, and so awesome. I was cheering for Cricket the entire time, but I also felt (in the beginning) that Max was a good guy too. So I wondered how Lola was going to get herself out of that situation. I don’t even think I can explain how upbeat and how happy this book made me feel. Cricket is not the kind of guy we’ve become use to these days. He’s not sarcastic, rude, tough, and doesn’t hide his feelings. He says what he means, he openly cares for everyone, he’s polite, and he’s funny but talks straightforward. He’s a nerd, he doubts himself, but he knows what he wants. Cricket Bell is finally the good guy who wins in the end. The straight-up good guy whose best friend is his sister and who would do anything for his family. And Lola. Well, Lola is creative and shows her emotions through what she wears. She expresses herself and never worries what other people think. She’s determined to not let her genetics speak for her, and make a path for herself. She is definitely someone you can aspire to be. Although she does make mistakes, she tries to figure things out, and when she makes a mistake she earns people back. This novel takes you into the life or someone who isn’t afraid to express herself. They touch on the lives of unconventional families and how sometimes they may just be better than normal ones because of their ‘unnormal’ status. Perkins brings many different lives all rolled into one story, and makes you love every character. This book is one that is staying on my shelf for a long time.

Good:

Lola: And individual who has to accept herself, and others and learn that she needs to encouraged others like they have encouraged her. And I love her costumes

Cricket: By far the nicest guy all around. Man I would love for this six-foot-four-inch nerd to be my neighbour.

Nathan and Andy: Awesome. Just awesome Dads.

Lindsay: She takes the dream of wanting to be Nancy Drew to a whole new level.

Bad:

Nothing really Bad. I thought it was a very well done book. There were some moments that were awkward. When she said “Uncle….Cricket.” He cringes and she says he remembers everything. But I have no clue what any of that means. But oh well.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall, like I previously said, there were some awkward moments that I was just not sure about but the story was too good to get tied up on those small things. I loved the story lines, I loved the characters, I loved it all. Stephanie Perkins sure knows how to write a story about young love and still make it realistic. She acknowledges sex, drugs, and alcohol but made her character a positive influence without it seeming like she lives in an unrealistic world. On the contrary there are some very dark histories to some of the characters. Stephanie Perkins brings a little more colour to our world with Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Quotes:

Click here to check out my favourite quotes!

Viewer Type Recommendation:

For all those Young Adult readers who remember their first kiss, their first crush, and know that their first love will never go away.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (although I haven’t read it yet, the characters appear in this book. So I can only assume its awesome.), Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney, Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell, Airhead series by Meg Cabot, Sarah Dessen books.

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great review! This book has been on my TBR list for awhile, now its just a matter of actually getting the book and reading it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a fun read! I'm glad you enjoyed it, too! Stephanie Perkins writes great contemporary books! :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...