Monday, 30 July 2012

Review: Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost


Once Burned
Series:  Night Prince
Author:  Jeaniene Frost
Publisher: Avon
Pages:  346
Format: paperback
Source: Library

Rating: 

Reason chosen:

I had seen people talking about this book all over so I thought I would give it a shot.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

She's a mortal cursed with dark power...
After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: a terrifying ability to channel electricity and to see a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...
He's the Prince of Night...
Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him, a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites, threatening to consume them. It will take everything they have to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

Review:

When I picked this up I was expecting another adult supernatural book that focused more on the adult content then on the story line. I guess I didn’t do my homework. If I would have looked up Jeaniene Frost before I would have recognized some of her other work and realized that I was in for an actual story. Yup…Jeaniene knows how to write a sexy vampire, but she also knows how to write a good supernatural story too. THANK GOD! This story was interesting to say the least. I have so many questions but I guess/hope that some of those will be answered in the next book which is set to come out in 2013. When I finished I thought “how rude” because it leaves you hanging and wanting to read the next one. Now, I picked this up because everyone was talking about how in love with Vlad they were. I will admit that I actually had a hard time falling for him. If you read the summary you know that Vlad is pretty old…and he’s inspired a pretty iconic character which means that Vlad has done some things….so I found it hard to get over those thing, but then he says things like I protect what is mine and I consider you mine and it gets your blood going. But, he’s cocky and at first I was like slap that smile right off his face but you don’t slap Vlad. That is just a no no, but then you find yourself quite alright with his cockiness, in fact it starts to make you smile. And of course with a girl like Leila how can you not like her. She is strong, independent, and protects those that are hers. Ou….this is going to be a good match.

Good:

Leila: Olympic gymnast, powerful, cocky, independent, determined, caring. Kick-butt.

Vlad: straight up sexy and he knows it. Not to mention protective and jealous. Awesome.

Maximus: Loyal. Hot. Awesome. Need to find him a girl so Vlad doesn’t kill him for looking at Leila like that

Vlad’s men: Loyal. Deadly. Awesome.

Bad:

Like I said I questioned Vlad in the beginning and I couldn’t seem to fall for him so easily. I still wouldn’t say I’ve fallen for him although he is starting to appeal to me. But, I believe that my not being able to like him from the get go is what stops be from being able to give this book the full five.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing was very well done. The action was fast, but easy to follow and the humour that was there was easily and well done. The characters were also very easy to picture and understand their motives. The story line was very interesting and I loved how it intertwined with all the history behind the Vlad story. All in all I will be continuing with this series and I recommend that you pick this book up if you are not afraid of some adult content.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes.

Next In the Series:

Twice Tempted ETA: March 19th 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love a supernatural romance. This is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs, Katherine “Kitty” Kat series by Gini Koch, Shifters series by Rachel Vincent, Insatiable series by Meg Cabot

Read Completely:
Yes

Check out the book trailer:



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I have been wondering about Once Burned, heard mixed reviews on it that's its worth picking up. It was your favorite quotes from it thats done me in I need to get it. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review and agree with mostly everything :P You have to read the other series, with Cat and Bones, and you'll see another face of Vlad too. She's a great writer :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...