Monday, 2 July 2012

Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Struck
Series:  Struck
Author:  Jennifer Bosworth
Publisher:  Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Pages: 373
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

This book was chosen as my second Random Read for the month of June.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Mia Price is a lightning addict. She's survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.
Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.
Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn't who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.

Review:

Well this was something new. I loved the twist on a post apocalyptic world because technically its only L.A that is experiencing the kind of dramatic life changing event that starts off the novel. Mia Price has been struck by lighting…multiple times. And its changed her in many ways.  Without giving away too much I will tell you that Mia has emotions and energy rumbling around inside of her that she isn’t always able to control. And when she finally realizes that her and her brother need to go back to school to get daily rations (with their mother being completely out of control) things change. People want her on their side, and one boy wants her away from all of it. But everyone hides secrets, and Mia is hiding some she doesn’t even know she has.

Good:

Mia: a cool chick who doesn’t really know how to handle her life but refuses to stop trying. All she wants is normal.

Jeremy: They had me at Clark Kent glasses. Anyone that they describe as filling the mould of Clark Kent (with Dark hair and blue eyes behind those wonderfully famous glasses) has me shaking at my knees. What can I say…I love the farm boy turned superhero and Jeremy even hold some Clark Kent traits. Yummy.

Bad:

There was a lot to take in for such a smaller book. I felt like there was a lot of ‘initiation’ and other things. I’m not sure how it could improve, but I just know that it felt like there was a lot more behind everything and I felt like I was missing out on some stuff.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I didn’t have an issue with the writing. The style flowed, although there wasn’t much humour, but I guess if something like that really happened then you probably wouldn’t be laughing either. There was the feeling that this should have been a trilogy or something, again just because it felt like I was missing out. Otherwise I liked the new take on dystopian society, occult, and in general just the whole lightning thing was awesome.

Previously In the series:

Prophet (Struck 0.5)

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you like dystopian society, or life after natural disasters. If you love a good heroine stepping up to save society, or love books about people fulfilling prophecies, then pick this up.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, 1-800-Where-R-U series by Meg Cabot, Elemental Series by Brigid Kemmerer, The Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver, Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I just got this book in the mail. It's one of the summer reads for me that have been on my list forever. It's had so much hype and whatnot, during the release month, so I actually won a copy and it just came. I haven't read it yet though. I hate insta-love, but if it works, then maybe I can get past it. As for religion, it has to like clean. Ms. Bosworth had to have written the religion REALLY well. And I hope it's not too much like any real religion, because then I couldn't handle it. But, I am going to read it soon. 4 stars! Nice! Thanks for the review!

    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved the cult aspect of this-that is what got me first interested in the book and I was very pleased with all of the drama that came out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very, very interesting, love the cover and the whole concept too. But then again I love all dystopian books! loved the review too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...