Monday, 6 August 2012

Review: First Grave To the Right By Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right
Series:  Charley Davidson #1
Author:  Darynda Jones
Publisher: St Martin’s Press
Pages: 315
Format: paperback
Source: Library

Rating:

Reason chosen:

I saw a post on a blog I follow that was reviewing the book, and I couldn’t help myself. It sounds extremely intriguing.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper. Meaning, she sees dead people. Really. And it's her job to convince them to "go into the light." But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an entity who has been following her all her life…and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. But what does he want with Charley? And why can't she seem to resist him? And what does she have to lose by giving in?

Review:

I have two ‘H’ words for you. Hilarious. And Hot. That sums up this book. And really do you need any other reasons to read it? No. No, you don’t. I don’t even understand why you continue to read this review because you should be running to your local bookstore to pick it up or grabbing your e-reader to download it. Seriously, that is how good it is. I am so ecstatic that I found this series. I am also quite happy that I found it with three books already published and a fourth one on the way. Which means I have many days ahead of me filled with Charley Davidson humour. I think that is what really hooks me in with an author when the can easily make you laugh and jealous all at the same time. It makes you think “Damn, that was funny. Why couldn’t I come up with that?”. And Jones is definitely one of those writers. She starts each chapter off with a hilariously random quote like “Guys have feelings too. But like...who cares?”, “When fighting clowns, always go for the juggler.” And how can those extremely simple and awesome quotes not make you laugh? So suffice to say I was hooked from the first page. But, then she adds in these awesome characters. Charley Davidson is one hell of a chick. She has sass, is fluent in all languages including sarcasm, and tries to kick some butt. Heavy on the try. And then lets bring in some of her math skills: “My calculations - allowing for a 12 percent margin of error, based on the radius of the corresponding confidence interval and the surgeon general's warning - concluded that they probably didn't stay behind for the tacos.” Come on. Are you grabbing for the book yet? But, she is above all caring. She does it for the people who have lost someone. She does it for her family. Then there is Reyes. You barely even meet the guy, but you fall in love with him because of all the past that he and Charley have together.  And then its like BAM! And now I can’t wait to start the next one. With awesome characters, an interesting take on the afterlife, and a intricately webbed plot Darynda Jones has created a devastatingly addictive series, one that I am not shying away from, more like running towards.

Good:

Charley: The funniest, ungraceful chick around, who is secretly a genius when it comes to catching bad guys and working with the bed. Come to think of it…maybe she cheated when she graduated at the top of her class…she does always have a lot of dead people around. Interesting. Not to mention she sees to me a little bit of a thief when it comes to ex-boyfriends shirts.

Reyes: Hot, hot, hot. He brings the heat. He brings the emotion baggage. He brings the history, and so much more.

I came across a lovely tidbit of info. Apparently a certain Roswell alien was the inspiration for Reyes. 

I can definitely see it and this was pretty close to how I picture Reyes.

And of course...just because.



Garrett: I am torn between him and Reyes for multiple reasons. I know he has a crush on Charley, he just needs to pull his head out of him butt. Well, she needs to stop being so oblivious as well. And he can hold his own in a battle of whit.

Bad:

Nothing. Nope, nope, nope.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the story line was awesome. The multiple story lines that were very well laid out throughout the story did not distract for any aspect of the novel. In fact, they made it all better. Instead of solely focusing on the romantic moments of the book you actually got a plot and a well developed one at that. Darynda Jones is also a writer I am completely jealous of. I rarely come across writers with the humour and style that she has. He writing is along the lines of Rachel Vincent’s in the Shifter series, where there is a lot of action, enough romance, endless bounds of humour that are both well placed and well done, and the characters are all extremely well crafted. Overall this has officially become one of my favourite series.

Quotes:

Click here to check out my favourite quotes

Next In the Series:

Second Grave on the Left (#2)-> Click for review
Third Grave Dead Ahead (#3)->Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love a good adult paranormal romance, with a lot of action and humour this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Shifters series by Rachel Vincent, Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Providence by Jamie McGuire, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, Hush, Hush series by Becca Fizpatrick.

Read Completely:
God yes.

Click here to check out Garrett Swoops' 5 Things You Should Never Say to a Grim Reaper

You should all check out the Grimlets on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DaryndasGrimlets



And of course Darynda's website: http://www.daryndajones.com


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. oooo im definitly going to have to get this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm commenting as part of the Young Adult Hop Giveaway, my email is sweetmarie915@aol.com.


    Anyway, when I got your email newsletter and saw this review I was intrigued. This book sounds great, and thanks for convincing me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read First Grave on the Right, Second Grave on the Left and Third Grave Dead Ahead too and now I can't wait for Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet.
    My favourite was Third Grave Dead Ahead. I'm torn between Swopes and Reyes too.
    I love your review :). Can't wait to read your opinions about the second and the third novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reyesssssss, love him so much :)

    nice review, you must continue reading book 2 :D

    I'm waiting my book 3 to come and read

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...