Sunday, 5 August 2012

Review: Foretold by Jana Oliver


Foretold
Series:  The Demon Trappers
Author:  Jana Oliver
Publisher: MacMillan
Pages: 438
Format: Paperback
Source: Pre-order

Rating:

Reason chosen:

I picked up the first in the series and I’ve loved it ever since.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Stand by as Riley prepares to kick some serious demon butt for the last time in this thrilling, dramatic and sexy conclusion to The Demon Trappers series.

Riley’s always known that Beck had a chequered history, but she’s not prepared for what it actually means to be in love with a guy with this many dark secrets. Now that he’s finally admitted to himself that he’s in love with her too, there’s no more hiding the truth about his past. And as it turns out, fending off a demon apocalypse is nothing compared to what’s to come...

Review:

Oh I do love Beck. And I do love Riley. I’ve been waiting a long time for this novel. Not only is it the final in the series, but the first half of the novel is all about Beck’s troubled past. Frig I loved reading about Beck. Throughout all the three previous books I wanted to know everything about this lovely Backwoods Boy and especially after the last one and how it ended. But, thankfully I am happy that Riley is not the kind of girl who takes no for an answer. She is not the kind of girl who backs down. And that is something that made this book very special. And then there is Beck who is truly afraid that if he opens up she will go running. But, when he does he refuses to lose her. And man, that makes me love Denver Beck even more. Then you have to throw in the past of course. There is still Lucifer, Ori, Alan, and the many many Demons of Atlanta making it a need to read. This book was one that finally answered some questions about the mysterious Denver Beck. It also had Riley and Beck finally getting their heads out of the sand and into reality. This book was glued to my side at all time. I had a busy couple of days, and the book is over 400 pages, so it took me a couple of days to get through it. However, it was the kind of book that made me want to get home as soon as possible so I could cuddle up with it. This series has been one of my favourites.

Good:

Riley: I love that she is strong. I love that she doesn’t take no as an answer and I love that she puts everyone first.

Beck: I love this guy. Plain and simple. Sometimes he acts a lot older and it occasionally throws me off, but I always come back to loving him and his good ol’ boy charm.

Bad:

Well this is a tough one. There was some key element missing that would turn this book into a 5/5, but sadly I can’t quite place my finger on it. There were a lot of times when there wasn’t much action, and maybe that is what was lacking but I can’t be quite sure.
Here is something else, although this will probably not affect the majority of readers. The book that I pre-purchased was a U.K. version and I know that some words like “tire” are actually spelt differently=”tyre” and of course some things are named differently like their choice of words to explain a hat. But, there were some editorial errors in this book. Not spelling mistakes or referring to something wrong, I’m talking actual words missing in a sentence. Mainly I found the word “be” to missing a couple of times. Here is my example: What it should say “This is gonna’ be crazy”, it was actually written “This is gonna crazy.” Perhaps that’s not the best example, I didn’t highlight any in the book, but I had to re-read a couple of sentences and discover the word that was missing to properly understand it. It threw me off a couple of times and distracted me from the overall actual reading of the book.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I loved the book. I loved getting away from the Demon Trapping and getting to know the characters without ever straying too far. I loved Riley and Beck, and I even came to love Simon again. The writing, although with some errors in my book, was overall very well done. The story line, which was basically two stories and two locations making up the one novel, was still something I appreciated, sort of like getting the best of both worlds. The characters are still the same ones that I loved from the beginning, but have grown-up and evolved. To be honest I wish there would be another book set so many years in the future so I can see how everyone is doing. I’m going to miss them.

Previously In the series: (Click for review)

Soul Thief A.K.A Forbidden

Viewer Type Recommendation:

Paranormal, young adult lovers. If you like a good Armageddon read with a mixture of romance and demons then pick this up.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Hush, Hush series by Becca FitzpatrickThe Hunger Games series by Suzanne CollinsJessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey, Abandon by Meg CabotGirl in the Arena by Lise HainesOnce Dead, Twice Shy by Kim HarrisonThe Mediator Series by Meg Cabot, Shifter series by Rachel Vincent, Providence series by Jamie McGuire, Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins.

Read Completely:
Yes, yes, double yes.

Alternate Covers:


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Of all of the books released this year (already released or soon to be), this is the book I've been anticipating the MOST! Jana Oliver's world of Demon Trappers just sucks you in. I'm jealous that you got to read it already ;)but I'll just wait for the U.S. version to hit the shelves.

    Awesome Review!!

    Saph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its certainly a striking cover! I've not heard of the series before but it's certainly something that I would be tempted by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica -

    Thank you for the awesome review. My UK publisher and I are going to work on this missing words. That edition came out in a very short period of time and we missed some stuff. I'll take the hit for that. They'll correct the e-book first and should it go back to press, then the print book.

    The U.S. edition doesn't have the same issues. There was a longer "roll out" for that one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...