Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx
Series: Lux #2
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 366 (Not including bonus material)
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Rating


Reason chosen:

Because Obsidian rocked my socks off

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

Review:

I want Daemon to call me Kitten.
This book was another great novel in what is going to be a whirlwind of series. Daemon Black is ridiculously sexy and cocky. That grin…more than likely to die for. And when he says “Its on.” I swoon. My heart gives out…paramedics are called. Where the first in the series was basically all about the banter between Katy and Daemon (where Daemon is constantly a jerk-face while being sexy at the same time) this one…well is basically the same, except we now see a completely different side to Daemon. The nice side. He opens up and lets Katy in. Now, if only Katy would so the same.
But, oh how Daemon is determined to get Katy. And that makes for half a great novel in itself. The other half…all the action. Secrets are discovered and revealed, new characters come into play (some you want to slap, some you like) and Katy and Daemon are determined to protect each other from some huge threats. In this novel we get a stronger Katy. Not that she wasn’t strong in the first one, but now with her connection to Daemon she had more fighting power…I love it. And Daemon is not-so silently freaking out because he doesn’t have all the answers and he doesn’t want anyone else to get hurt.
*Sigh. What else can you do when you come across a stubborn, determined, cocky Daemon but sigh? He wants to be apart of her life and he basically virtually stalks Katy via her blog, which he also highjacks one of her In My Mailbox videos. I’ll tell you, he can highjack mine anytime. And then another guy comes into play and Katy is determined to not let the connect she and Daemon have determined her life, but that only makes Daemon jealous…and damn I like a jealous Daemon.
But, this book pulled at my heart strings. I cried, laughed (a lot) wanted to smack something, and many other emotions that I just can’t seem to name.
Reflection back I realized that Katy made a couple of mistakes, much like Daemon does in the first one, and I was shocked that I realized I agreed with some of them when they were happening, others I thought she was straight up stupid to do, but still I agreed with some none the less, and now looking back I’m thinking “What was I thinking?” That is just how the book reels you in. It makes you question things about your own self and reveals some things about your true character.
God, I loved this book.

Good:

Daemon: Hot, cocky, jerk. So, same-old-same-old.

Katy: Independent, stubborn, and has some lovely one-liners.

Dee: Dee, how far you have come. I think you are extremely awesome.

Adam: The nice brother of the Thompson triplets. I like how you think your brother deserves to have his butt kicked.

Bad:

Nothing. This book actually gets your emotions going along with the characters

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the storyline was well developed. With multiple bad guys, and one seriously intense plot the novel captures your heart, makes it pump some adrenalin, and even on some occasions stops it completely. I also found that this novel had me wanting to know more about some of the characters. Like Matthew…I can’t seem to figure him out. Luckily there are so many other books in the series on their way.

Quotes:

Click here to check out some of my favourite quotes.

Previously in the Series:

Shadows (#0.5)->Click for review
Obsidian (#1)->Click for review

Next In the Series:

Opal (#3)-> Click for review

Origins (#4) ETA: July 2013
Untitled Lux (#5)

View type recommendation:

If you love a good romance, or maybe just a good alien story, then please, please pick this book up.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, Providence by Jamie McGuire, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Storm by Brigid Kemmerer, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Hush Hush series by Beeca Fitzpatrick, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Mortal Instrument and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver, Shifter series by Rachel Vincent

Read Completely:
Yes

Check out the book trailer:


AND...AND!!!!!!
I'm dying right now.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Ever since I read Obsidian I have been dying to get my hands on Onyx!! Your review only makes me more impatient!!

    DDS @ b00k r3vi3ws
    ~~ Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED ONYX!!!! Such a great book!!!! I got it a few weeks early from the release day, so I was really happy and read it in like a couple of hours. Fantastic book! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book so much. I can't get enough. I have re-read it several times and i love it more and more each time. I can't wait to read the 4th book. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...