Thursday, 9 August 2012

Review: Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left
Series: Charley Davidson #2
Author:  Darynda Jones
Publisher: St Martin’s Press
Pages: 307
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library

Rating:

Reason chosen:

Absolutely loved the first one!

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

If you hang around with dead people, life can deliver a whole world of trouble.
Take it from Charley Davidson, part-time P.I. and full-time Grim Reaper. The deceased find her very sparkly. Demons find her irresistible. And one entity in particular wants to seduce her in every way possible…
When Charley and Cookie, her best friend slash receptionist, have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally.) has left his corporeal body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven…well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.
Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm's way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?

Review:

Oh my great-aunt’s panties. She is the master of cliffhangers. And humour…never forget the humour. Darynda Jones’ Charley Davidson series is something else and all in a good way. I mean the main character names her body parts. And I still find it hilarious. And during this book I actually sat back and questioned whether or not there may actually be something mentally wrong with Charley. But, then I shook it off because she’s a Grim Reaper…so it’s like getting a chance card passing go and collecting $200. It’s just understandable. But, what I find even more awesome are the one-liners that are used when Charley is basically talking to herself. I shouldn’t say that. They are directed at people, but they have become so use to Charley that they let her crazy simply waft over their heads. That’s when the good lines really come out to play. And just like the character every chapter of the book starts out with a funny, and sometimes just as crazy random quote. For example. “I’ve stopping fighting my inner Demons. We’re on the same side now.” Ha! And: “Never be afraid to dart around in public humming the Mission: Impossible theme song,” or, “What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?” And those are some of the less hilarious ones. If the chapter quotes aren’t enough for you to feel a need to pick up this book, then perhaps you should check out some of the book quotes (which can be seen attached below on my blog). And, if they don’t, well how about plain and simply the characters? Or maybe the plot line? Let me elaborate. The characters especially, Charley, Reyes, Swopes, Uncle Umbie, and Cookie all have such outstanding personalities and sarcastic attitudes that you really just can’t help but want more. Then the plot. How about having a P.I who solves murders and disappearances, and other things, on one hand, but then does Grim Reaper things on the other? There is a perfect balance between reality, supernatural, romance, drama, comedy, and action that it appeals to all people, and appeals to this person on all accounts.

Good:

Charley: As always Charley you light up my life. Just like you so for all the deceased out there. Instead of a physical light its laughter that you bring to me

Reyes: You light up my dreams. Although you try and act cruel, and sometimes you really do succeed. Still…I would like to see that stolen shower picture of you. And clearly if you have a fan club just for being in prison that will go as far as paying Guards for those sort of things, and forging marriage certificates, then clearly you’re a keeper.

And I'm just going to post these again because, well...its pretty obvious why.
Oh Reyes. Sigh.

Garrett: Garrett, you seriously impressed me in this book. You were like a rugged (I picture you rugged) James Bond, but filled with sarcasm and clearly in love with Charley. You fill my daydreams. Sigh. What is a girl to do

Cookie: You’re friggin awesome. You’re like the extremely productive version of Charley.

Bad:

She never explains how he comes up with the nickname Dutch! Because he said it when she was born so how would he have known? This isn’t really bad I guess I just hope it gets answered in the future. Otherwise, there was nothing bad.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall…what can I say? This series has officially taken residence on my top shelf along with all my other favourite books. I love when I find series that have no just one but multiple amazing books in the series that just do not disappoint. Darynda Jones’ well-timed humour and action packed novel makes this read another extremely enjoyable one. The story line is a great blend of everything that does not overwhelm you, nor does it leave you confused because everything is just so extremely well paced. Thank god I picked up all the books at once because the moment I am done this I am picking up the next one.

Quotes:

Click here to check out some of my favourite quotes.

Previously in the Series:

First Grave to the Right (#1)->Click for review

Next In the Series:

Third Grave Dead Ahead (#3)->Click for review
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (#4)->Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love a good adult paranormal romance, with a lot of action and humour this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Shifters series by Rachel Vincent, Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Providence by Jamie McGuire, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, Hush, Hush series by Becca Fizpatrick.

Read Completely:
Holy Moses yes.

Click here to check out Garrett Swoops' 5 Things You Should Never Say to a Grim Reaper

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great review and this sounds like a series I need to get started on!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...