Monday, 27 August 2012

Review: A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer


A Tailor-Made Bride
Author: Karen Witemeyer
Publisher: Bethany House
Pages: 348
Format: Paperback
Source: Provided by publisher for review

Rating

Reason chosen:

I read Short-Straw Bride prior to this one and I fell in love with the characters.

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Jericho "J.T." Tucker wants nothing to do with Coventry, Texas's new dressmaker. He's all too familiar with her kind--shallow women more devoted to fashion than true beauty. Yet, except for her well-tailored clothing, this seamstress is not at all what he expected. Hannah Richards is confounded by the man who runs the livery. The unsmiling fellow riles her with his arrogant assumptions and gruff manner while at the same time stirring her heart with unexpected acts of kindness. Which side of Jericho Tucker reflects the real man? When Hannah decides to help Jericho's sister catch a beau--leading to uproarious consequences for the whole town--will Jericho and Hannah find a way to bridge the gap between them?

Review:

I don’t know what it is, but I love timepiece novels. When something we take today as being normal everyday behaviour, like a kiss, is put into a situation where it is in fact not innocent and holds great meaning, it makes the whole idea of romance right down to a kiss mean so much more and seems to captivate me whole heartedly. We seem to take those simple touches, kisses, or gestures for granted these days, maybe because they are so freely done with modern day society that we don’t realize the romance and potential that is hidden behind them. But, Karen Witemeyer sure knows how to make a girl fantasize about living back during the time of coach wagons. If you think about it it would be so much easier. You would never have to question a guys actions, because he would be very straight forward with its meaning. And that is something about this book that makes this girl swoon. I have to admit that this novel had more biblical quotes and an overall more religious feel to it than the first. That’s not necessarily bad however sometimes I found myself trying to decipher these specific words for the good book and questioning whether or not he was right, or she was right and I ended up getting distracted a bit from the remainder of the story. However, I have to love her characters. I loved how surly J.T was, how independent and determined Hannah was, especially for a girl of her time, and how they just happen to know how to get under each other’s skin. I loved the innocence of the book and how each character was right in their actions and sometimes just simply wrong with their presentation. The story overall is a loveable one that you just can’t seem to help smiling. about.

Good:

J.T Tucker—I love his manliness, his stubborn behaviour, and his generosity. I have to admit though his surliness made me picture him older than he was until half way through the novel.

Hannah Richards—I love how modern day she is. I love her determination to make something of her self.

Bad:

When some people are force to choose (or believe they are) between their beau or their careers (both of which they love) they admit that they would choose their beau. I was not a big fan of that moment. Although, I understand that was pretty common in that age and probably did fit the time accurately it still left me with an unpleasant taste in my mouth. Finally, the story line. After reading The Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer I did go into this book expecting action from the beginning. Don’t get me wrong there was definitely some thrills and near injuries, but I expected the “bad guy” or event that would lead to the eventual climax of the novel to either happen early, or have more face time throughout the novel. However, it wasn’t until near the end that it all came about. Which, was a bit of a let down. Then again, I am reading these books out of order and this was her first novel so I can only assume that some things, including her way of writing will change in the next books.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I loved the writing style. I loved the innocence of the characters and the time period. And I loved the interactions between the characters were presented making you want to crawl into the book and have them right there beside you. The story makes me wish that I lived during this time. That today’s men where like the men were back in the 1800s. Karen Witemeyer truly knows how to write a romance novel that focuses on the romance and development of love between two characters who have yet to so much as kiss and can still leave you swooning.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love a innocent romance where you will truly fall in love with the characters than this is the novel for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Short-Straw Bride also by Karen Witemeyer

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...