Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Review: Highland Guardian by Melissa Mayhue


Highland Guardian
Series: Daughters of Glen #2
Author: Melissa Mayhue
Publisher: Pocket
Pages: 368
Format: paperback
Source: Library

Rating:

Reason chosen:

I absolutely loved the first one

Summary taken from Chapters/Indigo.ca:

Ian McCullough is neck-deep in his own trouble. A half-mortal descendant of Faeries, he's been a Guardian for more than six hundred years, but he's never encountered a woman like Sarah. Assigned to protect her, he finds the job tougher than he could have imagined. Oh, he can handle the stalker, and even the renegade Faeries trying to kidnap her. But falling in love means forsaking his role as Guardian -- which is some-thing he could never do.

But there is no denying the passion that exists between two souls fated to be together.

Review:

Well my expectations were high for this novel coming off the first in the series which, in my opinion was fantastic. Sadly, this novel sort of felt like a ‘filler’ it provided knowledge and an introduction to characters for future books. I guess I loved the first one because it took me into a far away land. Where men were fighters, and believed women should be protected. Who gave orders and didn’t take them. And when you add in a woman who is feisty and doesn’t take orders too lightly…well you gotta love it. But this one was very different. We get more in depth knowledge and introduction into the world of the faeries and in fact the leading male character is half-fae who has lived for centuries. But, something was lacking. I think it was simply the romance that was originally set out in Mayhue’s first novel. The romance that was basically created by the time period and the requirements of the time period. Although, this novel was still pleasing to read I found it took me longer; that I wasn’t excited to return to reading about Ian and Sarah as much as I was about Colin and Kate. Then of course there were the accents. Oh how I missed that old Scottish accent.

Good:

Ian—I did like him, and that he carried some old world with him.
Sarah—she’s a writer so you love her, and I did like how to she became a stronger character in the end.

Bad:

Sarah—So yes I liked her. However, I didn’t really like her timidness. I guess it was mainly because of her gift, but I also didn’t understand some of her gifts fully.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the book was still enjoyable but not something I was rushing to read. The characters were both somewhat appealing but didn’t hold the same characteristics that I liked in the characters from the first book. A good book to gather further information about the world that Mayhue has created, but I just felt overall something was lacking.

Previously in the Series:

Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (#1)-> Click for Review

Next In the Series:

Soul of a Highlander (#3)->Click for Review
A Highlander of Her Own (#4)-> Click for Review
Healing the Highlander (#7)-> Click for review
Highlander’s Curse (#8)-> Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you love historical romances then this series is for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot, Tailor-Made Bride and Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer, Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...