Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Review: Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens


Overprotected
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Pages: 243
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed via the library

Rating:

Reason chosen:

Sounded upbeat and decent

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City. Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard. Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector. Daddy thought I'd be safe. He thought I'd never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin. Daddy was wrong.

Review:

So I picked this up thinking this would be a light upbeat novel. I thought “hey this sounds like that movie with Katie Holmes The First Daughter! That was such a cute movie”. Let me set the record straight: Not like the movie. Some thing I expected to be upbeat and fun was dramatic and occasionally dark. This book smacks you in the face with the intensity of her situation and her extremely broken and screwed-up family. There were barely any happy moments to this novel. This should be a “what happens when you suffocate your daughter and not let her have a real life” story. Don’t get me wrong there were aspects about this book that I liked, but the big downfall was the writing. For a story that is so intense and dark I found most of it to be grey/blah. I didn’t feel it pulling at my heartstrings like so many other emotionally intense novels. I guess that’s it—it was missing the emotional part. It recounted the story but I didn’t get the feeling from it. I could barely even feel the emotion connection between Colin and Ashlyn. Otherwise this story would have been extremely good even ignoring the somewhat predictable plot. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t predict everything, but the main climax could be seen coming from chapter one.
And I’m not 100% sure what kind of copy I got (although I borrowed it from the library database) but there were a considerable amount of errors. Weird.

Good:

Colin—cool headed and not willing to leave her in a bad situation.

Bad:

Ashlyn—for a mad girl who wanted to be independent she sure acts like a child and doesn’t really fight for herself. I would have escaped so many time instead of just saying “Fine”, and “Yes, of course.” Not the female lead I was expecting.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the story has so much potential. Sadly its simply how it was brought across that doesn’t make it a favourite of mine. Now, that in no way should deter you from reading it if it was already on your to-be-read-pile because you never know, you may see it differently from me.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you like an intense novel filled with royally messed up families and a knight and shining armour than this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, The Mockingbirds series by Daisy Whitney, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith, Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, Sarah Dessen book,The NannyDiaries by Emma McLaughlin, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Bradshares

Read Completely:
Yes

Photobucket

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...