Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter


Alice in Zombieland
Series: White Rabbit Chronicles #1
Author: Gena Showalter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 404
Format: Paperback
Source: purchased

Rating: 


Reason chosen:

There was some hype about this novel for a while. So I gave in.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.

Review:

*Opens mouth. *Closes mouth. *Looks at absolutely nothing to the left.
How to begin? How to being…
How about amazed. Heart-broken. In awe! This is my first novel by Gena Showalter and I am utterly blown away. This book reminds me a lot of Poison Princess by Kresley Cole, which I absolutely loved, but they are both very different. Which makes me love it more.  I think the best thing about this book were the characters, ok and the new take on Zombies…I loved that too. But these characters kicked some series butt. The story line…kicked some series butt and I am twiddling my thumbs wait for the next book to come out. Things start with a bang, and things end with a bang. And, although its very different from Alice in Wonderland you can actually start to find the characters you love in this new book. There is Alice, of course, and, unless I’m completely wrong, the Cheshire Cat, Tweedledee and Tweedledum (I think), and I don’t really know about the others. Who’s the Queen of Hearts? The Mad-hatter? The Caterpillar? I know, I know they might not all be in there, but I can’t help but look for them. Anyone want to help me out?

Good:

Ali/Alice—She’s fragile yet not afraid to punch someone in the face. True Story.

Cole—My lord I don’t know how to describe him. You are such a nice guy. But, you also still fall into the ‘Bad Boy’ category because you throat-punch people. Or simply yell their name and the next thing you know you're beating each other. It’s still hot. Love you xo.

Kat—You are friggin hilarious! The stuff that comes out of your mouth! And like Alice I love you every time you do open it up.

Frosty—I love your attitude my friend. Don’t give up and keep being hilarious.

Emma—You break my heart because you are so awesome. You are very wise for your age.

Bad:

Nadda

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I loved this book. I thought it was a little hard to get into at first (things moved a little slowly besides the big opening) but then they really started to get going. And then I couldn’t put it down. And then I started dreaming about it. The book was an easy read I never had to re-read anything to fully understand it and everything came across so well. The humour was well placed and the characters were each so different and intriguing that I’ve fallin’ in love with all of them. I cried along with Alice, I laughed along with her as well, I lusted (oh god I lusted) after a boy with her, and I got caught up in her life. Gena Showalter doesn’t necessarily take you down the bunny hole but instead pulls back the veil of our own world into one filled with Zombies teen warriors, romance, and humour.

Quotes:

Click here to check out my favourite quotes here.

Next in the Series:

(No cover art as of yet)


Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of Zombies, or female warriors, or teen romance then this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, The Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Demon Trapper series by Jana Oliver, Shifter series by Rachel Vincent, Struck by Jennifer Bosworth, Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer, Jessica series by Bethany Fantaskey, Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick, Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines, Mortal Instruments & Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Read Completely:
Oh yeah

Trailer:


Spreading the word:

Check out the Alice in Zombieland website! There are wallpapers, character profiles, and more!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...