Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Review: Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory


Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble
Series:  Jolie Wilkins #1
Author:  H.P. Mallory
Publisher: Createsapce
Pages:  304
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Rating:


Reason chosen:

Well the cover looked cute, but the story line sounded even better

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Life isn't bad for psychic Jolie Wilkins. True, she doesn't have a love life to speak of, but she has a cute house in the suburbs of Los Angeles, a cat and a quirky best friend.

Enter Rand Balfour, a sinfully attractive warlock who insists she's a witch and who just might turn her life upside down. Rand hires her to help him solve a mystery regarding the death of his client who also happens to be a ghost. Jolie not only uncovers the cause of the ghost's demise but, in the process, she brings him back to life!

Word of Jolie’s incredible ability to bring back the dead spreads like wildfire, putting her at the top of the underworld’s most wanted list. Consequently, she finds herself at the center of a custody battle between a villainous witch, a dangerous but oh-so-sexy vampire, and her warlock boss, Rand.

Review:

I expected a fluffy little romance. Something with a peppy innocent female character. I got something else. Something better. This book definitely stands for the saying “Don’t judge a book buy its cover” because like I said I thought peppy easy read. Well, this has turned out to be one of my favourites. Instead of some (alright I’ll admit I thought she was going to be dumb) blonde and cheesy story line I got one that tugged at my heartstrings. One that had me scared for her well-being. One that I was proud when she kicked and screamed and didn’t go willingly. There’s some sizzling passion, and there were some times I wanted to slap Rand in the face. There were also some times I wanted to slap Jolie in the face. But overall this book was unexpected. It was not focused on the romance even though it is listed as a romance/adult novel. And there was so much supernatural in it that it made me giddy. There were so many interesting characters and so many times that her life got turned up side down that I just wanted to keep reading and never put the book down.

Good:

Jolie—You rock! Plain and simple.
Rand—you sexy sexy Warlock you. You give me emotional whip lash. Yet there is a part of me that would like to magically tear your clothes off if I were to ever meet you. There is also a part of me that would like to slap you on the back of your gorgeous head. Jut sayin’.
Sinjin—you dirty old bird. I may actually really like you.
Bad:

There were some parts that I wasn’t 100% sure I understood. However, apparently they get explained in the next book. Thank god.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall this book was a lovely surprise. The story was like two adventures in one (which at first I was a little worried about, but hey I just wanted more), and there is romance, humor, emotion, and….magic. The writing style was great. I never had to re-read something and all the humour and emotion came across so easily that it helped capture me into the on goings of the book and make it even more fantastic.

Quotes:

“Where’d you get that?” I asked in awe. A fairy key…I don’t know—it just sounded so Harry Potter.”

Next In the Series:

Toil and Trouble (#2)-> Click for review
Witchful Thinking (#3)-> Click for review
The Witch if Back (#4)-> Click for review
Something Witchy This Way Comes (#5)-> Click for review

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you like a supernatural romance that has a seriousness of tone mixed with humour and a lot of action this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, Shifterseries by Rachel Vincent, Daughters of Glen series by Melissa Mayhue, PoisonPrincess by Kresley Cole, Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones, MercyThompson series and Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs, maybe even the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

Other Covers:


Read Completely:
Yes yes yes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...