Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


The Iron King
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 363
Format: Paperback
Source: purchased

Rating:

Reason chosen:

It was chosen as a Random Reads…a couple of months ago and I finally got around to reading it.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Review:

If this book was being made into a movie the sets would be awesome! When I started reading this things sort of felt familiar. Probably because I just finished reading A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but there were other things. The sets and some of the characters mad me feel like this book was a mixture of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, The Hobbit, Peter Pan, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Near the end I realized that it was all simply just the world that Julie Kagawa created. There are creatures that don’t really talk, and sometimes people just don’t make sense, there are journeys through many many lands (all ones that I can only picture to be absolutely beautiful, expect the land of the Iron Fey of course), there are characters like Puck that reminded me of Peter Pan (filled with humour and adventure) and serious characters like Ash that melt my heart, but sometimes leave me questioning how he can be such a jerk. And then there are all the Fey that you come across. I could only imagine what they all looked like. Man this book as a movie…would be like an animation movie come to life—all the colour and costume would be like something out of a Tim Burton movie only less Dark and with more colour and snow all at the same time. If that’s even possible.
I was a little worried about reading this book because I’ve heard so much about it and I didn’t want to expects something absolutely fantastic and be disappointed. Luckily I was able to go into this with a decent mind set and I was not disappointed. Although, there wasn’t as much action as I thought there would be the characters, setting, story line and overall fantasy were enough to balance the scales. Not to mention this book opens up kind of scary. When her brother describes what happened with the man in the closet and their dog Beau well I pictured it and had to look in my closet and under my bed. Then this thing attacks her in her kitchen that has pointy teeth and scuttles away…that’s like something out of The Ring in my head. So, its only fair to say I was captivated by the creepiness of it all from the beginning. And then she goes and adds in some Romeo and Juliet stuff and well…lets just say I’m officially picking up the rest of the series.

Good:

Meghan—Although at first she seems weak (being introduced to a new world, having your brother stolen, and getting your true heritage explained to you can have that affect on a person) she proves to be determined, loyal, and trust worthy.

Puck—The prankster…I absolutely love him. And I never made the connection until it was explained who he truly was. He tugs at my heartstrings

Ash—I knew he was going to be awesome from the beginning, but he was a little cold hearted at first.

Oberon—Kind of cool, but I hope he becomes more of an important character and feature in Meghan’s life.

The Iron fey—It only makes sense that if they fey were a creation of our dreams then these Fey would come along as well. And they are an interesting new twist to classic fey stories.

Bad:

I was expecting a little more action. There was some of course, but this book was mostly focusing on the setting and exploring the worlds, hopefully to set it up for the adventure and action in the upcoming novels. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing style was done beautifully. I never had to re-read something to make sure I understood it, and she has the gift of being able to explain what something looked like with minimal worlds and the reader is still more than able to understand what she means. The story line was interesting and filled with many moments that make you really think about our world and the way we live without distracting from the fantasy of the Nevernever. Overall Julie Kagawa creates a fantasy world along the lines of The Hobbit meets Harry Potter that captivates the mind of her readers and challenges their imagination.

Quotes:

Click here to view some of my favourite quotes

Next in the Series:


Second Series, same world and occasionally characters:

The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten:
The Traitor Son (#2) ETA: Sept 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of all things fantasy, or all things fae, of beautiful magical worlds with adventure and romance than this is the book for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:


Read Completely:
Completely

Trailer:


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much more than I did!! I personally felt the novel was a bit too immature, maybe more middle grade than YA, also Puck annoyed me so much =\. Still, I heard a ton of people say the second book is the best so i might pick that one up.

    great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book so long ago, but it's still a favourite of mine. Julie Kagawa's writing just seems to work for me, I guess, as I've never once had a totally awful experience with any of her books.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...