Friday, 23 November 2012

Review: Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks


Never Seduce a Scot
Series: The Montgomerys & Armstrongs #1
Author:  Maya Banks
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Genre: Adult, Historical
Release Date: Sept 25th 2013
Pages:  372
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased

Rating

Reason chosen: 

I like me some Scottish men.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Eveline Armstrong is fiercely loved and protected by her powerful clan, but outsiders consider her “touched.” Beautiful, fey, with a level, intent gaze, she doesn’t speak. No one, not even her family, knows that she cannot hear. Content with her life of seclusion, Eveline has taught herself to read lips and allows the outside world to view her as daft. But when an arranged marriage into a rival clan makes Graeme Montgomery her husband, Eveline accepts her dutyunprepared for the delights to come. Graeme is a rugged warrior with a voice so deep and powerful that his new bride can hear it, and hands and kisses so tender and skilled that he stirs her deepest passions.

Graeme is intrigued by the mysterious Eveline, whose silent lips are ripe with temptation and whose bright, intelligent eyes can see into his soul. As intimacy deepens, he learns her secret. But when clan rivalries and dark deeds threaten the wife he has only begun to cherish, the Scottish warrior will move heaven and earth to save the woman who has awakened his heart to the beautiful song of a rare and magical love.

Review:

Graeme, Graeme, Graeme. Dear Lord Graeme. I would love a man like him pleading for me to stay with him. This book was unique from all the others that I have read because of two facts: 1. Eveline is deaf and doesn’t want people to know it. Instead they all thinks she is daft/dumb. And, 2. Graeme isn’t you average Alpha Male. Actually he doesn’t come across as an Alpha male until the end. Graeme made me smile like no other. He wasn’t hard and bristly and needed a woman to change him. Oh, no. He was a bit of a softy to begin with. Which, I really really liked about him. And then when you finally start to get a little ticked and want him to man-up…he does. And then you end up smiling all over again. Now, I kind of expected the over-all plot, but it was still very interesting when it played out including the big climactic scene. The only thing is that it took some time for the action to really start. Overall, I was pretty pleased with this book and this will definitely be a series that I continue with.

Good:

Eveline—A different kind of character

Graeme—A different kind of Alpha male

Graeme’s brothers—loyal, which is hopeful for the next couple of books.

Bad:

The action was a little slow.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall this is a series I plan on continuing. I liked Maya Banks’ other historical romance series The McCabe Trilogy and I am a giant sucker for Highlanders. I found that I loved the characters and that both seemed pretty different from the standard that many readers have come to expect. The plot was interested, although somewhat slow, and the big large fight scene that we expect with a warrior novel was very well done. Overall I was scooped up into the Scottish world or rivalling clans and a betrothed couple just trying to do what is best for themselves and their people.

Next in the Series:

Highlander Most Wanted (#2)->Click for review


Highlander Ever After (#3) ETA: September 24th 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a love of a Highland Romance this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Daughter of Glen series by Melissa Mayhue, Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot/Mia Thermopolis, Ugly Duckling series by Manda Collins, and The McCabe Triology by Maya Banks

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog:

Twitter: @maya_banks

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I loved Maya Banks McCabe series, and I can't wait to read this one. The action was a little slow, well atleast there was more romance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like me some Scottish men too ;) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...