Monday, 31 December 2012

Review: The Chief by Monica McCarty


The Chief
Series: Highland Guard #1
Author: Monica McCarty
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Genre: Historical Scottish Romance, Adult
Release Date:  March 23rd 2010
Pages:  320
Format: ebook
Source: Borrowed

Rating:

Reason chosen:

Well…because I love me some historical scottish fiction, and when I read the summary I almost died happy.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

AN ELITE FIGHTING FORCE UNLIKE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN ...

Scouring the darkest corners of the Highlands and Western Isles, Robert the Bruce handpicks ten warriors to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule. They are the best of the best, chosen for their superior skills in each discipline of warfare. And to lead his secret Highland Guard, Bruce chooses the greatest warrior of all.

The ultimate Highland warlord and a swordsman without equal, Tor MacLeod has no intention of being drawn into Scotland’s war against the English. Dedicated to his clan, the fiercely independent chief answers to no one—especially not to his alluring new bride, bartered to him in a bid to secure his command of the deadliest fighting force the world has ever seen. The treacherous chit who made her way to Tor’s bed may have won his hand, but she will never claim his heart.

Although her husband’s reputation is as fierce as his manner, Christina Fraser believes that something softer hides beneath his brutal shell. But the only warmth she feels is in their bed, in glorious moments of white-hot desire that disappear with the dawn. When Christina’s reckless bid to win her husband’s love goes awry and thrusts them into danger on the eve of war, Tor will face his ultimate battle: to save his wife and to open his heart—before it’s too late.

Review:

I really enjoyed this novel, but I found myself frustrated. I wanted to slap Tor right all up in his face. And then probably kiss him, but still the slapping is first. He was such a jerk sometimes that I had no clue how Christina could put up with it.  But, then there were the moments that he showered tenderness. From when he first saw her, stared at her at dinner, saved her from some disgusting man, and everything past that just broke my heart. Melted it more like it. And of course, how they were thrown together was like nothing I had ever read before. That was hella crazy couple of days, and her father is a real piece of work. And the historical background to the story (which involves a certain Braveheart) didn’t hurt. There was a lot going on in this novel and it constantly grabbed at my attention, and made me fall in love with the characters.

Good:

Christina—props to her for being independent, for trying to fit in, and for trying to prove her worth. And…she’s a reader so I basically have to like her. P.s. even for your time I have no clue how you, or your brother didn’t manage to punch your father right in the face.

Tor—He made my toes curl.

Bad:

Tor-Sometimes I also wanted to slap you and had no idea how she put up with you.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I loved the novel. I loved the story that was not only filled with romance, but adventure and Scottish men being Scottish men. Ou la la. The story line was very easy to follow and kept you entertained all the way through. I loved and was frustrated with the character (like I’m sure you are suppose to) and kept wanting to know what would happen next. The story sucked me in and didn’t let me go, I definitely think this will be a series I want to continue with.

Next in the Series:

The Hawk (#2)


The Viper (#4)

The Saint (#5)


The Hunter (#7) ETA: June 25th 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of Scottish and/or historical romances than this is one you may like.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

The Highlander’s Reward by Eliza Knight, In Bed With a Highlander and Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks, The Ugly Duckling series by Manda Collins, Daughters of Glen Series by Melissa Mayhue, Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog:
Twitter: @monicamccarty

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I only skimmed the review because I just started reading this one. I can't wait to get really into it. :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Are you going to read the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually. I have a lot of other books to get caught up on, but I did really like it so hopefully I can soon! Let me know what you think of it when you're done!

      Delete
  2. There's shocking news in the sports betting industry.

    It has been said that any bettor must watch this,

    Watch this or quit betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Advanced Sports Betting Software.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...