Sunday, 9 December 2012

Review: Crash by Nicole Williams


Crash
Series: Crash #1
Author:  Nicole Williams
Publisher: CreateSpace/Harper Collins
Genre:  YA, Drama
Release Date: July 20th 2012
Pages: 322
Format:  ebook
Source: purchased

Rating:

Reason chosen:

There was so much hype about it that I bought it then left it sitting on my e-reader for a while until I finally got around to reading it this weekend.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Southpointe High is the last place Lucy wanted to wind up her senior year of school. Right up until she stumbles into Jude Ryder, a guy whose name has become its own verb, and synonymous with trouble. He's got a rap sheet that runs longer than a senior thesis, has had his name sighed, shouted, and cursed by more women than Lucy dares to ask, and lives at the local boys home where disturbed seems to be the status quo for the residents. Lucy had a stable at best, quirky at worst, upbringing. She lives for wearing the satin down on her ballet shoes, has her sights set on Juilliard, and has been careful to keep trouble out of her life. Up until now. Jude is everything she needs to stay away from if she wants to separate her past from her future. Staying away, she's about to find out, is the only thing she's incapable of. For Lucy Larson and Jude Ryder, love is about to become the thing that tears them apart.

Review:

Dear lord, how could I have gone so long without reading this book? It was fantastic! It was emotional! It was utterly breathtaking! I have a sudden urge to listen to a certain two Beetle songs over, and over, and over again. This immediately reminded me of a YA version of Beautiful Disaster (which, is technically YA, but this is even younger I guess), but there are many significant differences. Jude, although filled with anger, is determined that he is not good for Lucy but is trying to walk the straight and narrow to be worthy of her. Oh man, I loved Jude from the first introduction-he made a good first impression and was very upfront. That beach scene was one for the ages and especially when Lucy holds her ground AND knows how to make a guy squirm. Now, Jude and Lucy basically begin to like each other within about a day and I thought that was rushing it, but some where in the plot I stopped caring about that and absolutely fell in love with these characters and their love story. And everything was SO intense. It caught of me off guard and it was extremely dramatic within the first couple of chapters. I was sitting around mouthing “What?What?!” and then crying, and doing some head shaking and deep breathing. But I wouldn’t have changed a moment of this mad high-speed chase! I found myself missing the people they were at the beginning of the book just to be happy when I found them again. I was happy that Jude was trying to push away a girl that he believed was too good for him instead of wanting her around to help make him a better person, even when I was yelling at him that she could make him a better person…that they could make each other a better people. And then when he reveals things about his past and why he didn’t deny these things when she accused him…well, my heart broke. And then there is the big climax!!! That I did not see coming and it was a blow to the face. I kept thinking “Why? Why can they not have ONE happy moment?” There were many things about this book that caught me off guard and made it entirely better. Some characters I thought I had down, just to completely throw me for the loop. Nicole Williams has definitely made an explosive and heart-wrenching story in her novel Crash; guaranteeing to provide you with a story and plot that the title Crash describes oh-so-well: mainly one hell of a ride.

Good:

Lucy—You gave him chances, and sometimes you didn’t give him chances. You broke my heart with your kindness and made me smile with your determination to not let a man depict what you will become even when you felt like you soul was missing. I am happy that you were not one of those girls who was determined they couldn’t live without someone even when you knew your life would never be the same.

Jude—You’re ridiculously hot as depicted by your reputation. However, it was you caring for Lucy, your determination to let her know what kind of a guy you were while trying to change, and even your anger management issues that stole my heart. I don’t think I will ever see it again.


This is mainly how I picture Jude:


But this is pretty close too...


Whoa. 

Sawyer—your character made my head spin around

Taylor—I kind of felt like you were a good person and you grew on me.

Bad:

Nothing that I can think of.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Even when there were moments when I was getting angry like when I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t have just one good moment I realized that was what makes this book so good, and those moments became good ones that took my breath away. The plot was fantastic and the characters both unique, and even when they could be filed away as the “Bad Boy” ended up creating new definitions for the types or creating a whole new type for themselves. I was captivated, and somehow emotionally invested in this novel. I can tell you that I find it in no way hard to pick up the next novel in this series and completely ignore all other items I had on my list of things to do today.

Quotes:

Click here for some of my favourite quotes!

Next in the Series:

Clash (#2)-> Click for review

Crush (#3) ETA: April 23rd 2013

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of those mind-blowing roller coaster ride worthy romances with a hot angered male lead and a girl who can hold her own than this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Losing It by Cora Carmack, Wallbanger by Alice Clayton, 12 Rounds by Lauren Hammond, Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens, Leaving Paradise and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Read Completely:
Yes, yes, yes

Alternate Cover(s):

The series was recently picked up by Harper Collins and along with some edition to the novel there was a change in all the covers. I have to admit that I liked the original covers best. They seemed to fit Lucy and Jude more than the new ones.

Author Website/Blog:
Twitter: @nwilliamsbooks

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Loved this book! Nicole is phenomenal and I'm anticipating the release of Crush and her new book, Up in Flames!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pick for Jude. This book was one hot mess of drama, and I loved it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guy on the top looks so much like how I imagine Jude to look . . . spot on! Thanks for taking the time to read and review CRASH. I'm so thankful for bloggers and readers like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I am so happy for authors like you that can make my head spin!

      Delete
  4. All that hype indeed! I wasn't a fan of Beautiful Disaster so I've been sort of avoiding this due to the comparisons but your review convinced me to give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...