Wednesday, 2 January 2013

End of Year Survey



This Year:


I completed my 2012 Reading Challenge! I ended up going over my goal by 131 books!

The year before that I read 62 book during my first couple months of blogging...so I blew my previous record out of the water. Ha!


This thing on Goodreads says I only read 129 books because I couldn't get my reviews in before the New Year. Now I've completed my last two reviews of 2012 and certain parts of the 2012 Challenge refuse to update. What are you going to do?

Anyhow, the majority of books that I read were awarded 4 star!

The longest book I read was Stray by Rachel Vincent which was a fantastic novel, but yes....long!

I had 42 Favourites which kind of makes me think I need to be a bit more strict.

1. Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
2. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
3. The Mocking-Birds by Daisy Whitney
4. The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver
5. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
6. Soul Thief by Jana Oliver
7. Forgiven by Jana Oliver
8. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
9. Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
10. Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs
11. Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell
12. The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
13. Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
14. Demon Glass by Rachel Hawkins
15. Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins
16. Body and Soul by Stacey Kade
17. Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
18. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
19. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
20. Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
21. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
22. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
23. Stray by Rachel Vincent
24. Rogue by Rachel Vincent
25. Pride by Rachel Vincent
26. First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
27. Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones
28. Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones
29. Onyx by Jennifer. L. Armentrout
30. Poison Princess by Kresley Cole
31. Thirty Nights With a Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue
32. Soul of a Highlander by Melissa Mayhue
33. Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory
34. Toil and Trouble by H.P. Mallory
35. Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally
36. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
37. 12 Rounds by Lauren Hammond
38. Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones
39. Wallbanger by Alice Clayton
40. Crash by Nicole Willams
41. Clash by Nicole Williams
42. Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

Survey:

Best In Books 2012

I decided to participate in The End of the Year Book Survey hosted by Jamie over at Perpetual Page Turner! 


1. Best Book You read in 2012?

You have no clue how tough this was, but...

Poison Princess (Arcana Chronicles #1) by Krelsey Cole was absolutely fantastic. I find myself thinking about at least once a week. I think it's because of the mixture of genres (romance, YA, dystopia, fantasy).
I have to give honourable mentions to these:


2. Best Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more than you did?

The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith. I heard so many good things about this novel and many people loved it so I picked it up and was super excited about it, and then kind of disappointed by it.
3. Most Surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory. I expected this to be a "light and fluffy" read and I got something entirely different. This book was amazing, there was drama, suspense, emotions were flying everywhere and it ended up becoming on of my favourites.
4. Books you Recommended to people most in 2012?

That's an easy one...

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I read this book in early 2012 before it was picked up and released by Scholastic, and it blew my mine. It was a close call for my favourite book for this year and I leant it to everyone I knew at work and sent out a mass recommendation for the book on Goodreads. I would recommend it to anyone over the age of 17, and probably will for years to come.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

That is also an easy one...

The Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones was my favourite. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants...during EVERY book! I have never read a funnier series, and have to give some serious props to Darynda Jones for being able to right the great one-liners that she does.

6. Favourite new author discovered in 2012?

That would also be Darynda Jones. I also read Death and the Girl Next Door (the first novel in her new Darklight series) and also really liked the book. She definitely has me hooked.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre?

That's a tough one because I went out of my comfort zone a couple of times especially when I started reading christian fiction, romance and historical romances, children's literature, and fantasy.

So...


Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer is a Christian Romance novel that probably deserves  a 5/5 rating compared to the 4/5 that I gave it and is a nother novel that I've thought back to throughout the year. The novel was so beautifully done and really focused on the two of the falling for each other.

Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue was my first ever historical Scottish romance, and one of my first romance books period and I absolutely loved it! It has become one of my favourites and I continued to read the series because it made such an impact on me.

Gregor the Overlander is a children's book written by The Hunger Games' Suzanne Collins, so you can only imagine how awesome the book was. I stopped reading "children's" novels a long time ago (other than Harry Potter) in fact I gave up on a children's series this year that I had been reading for a while. I guess I finally just grew out of it. However, I read Gregor for my Children's Lit. class and absolutely loved it. It's actually a book for all ages and reflects so much on the adult world. I really want to continue to read this series when I have time.

Greta and The Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs is a book that I would fantasize as "Fantasy" she goes to another world, there are elves, goblins, and barely any humans. I actually requested an ARC of this book because I was anticipating it so much and when I was provided one by the publisher immediately dived into it and was not disappointed. I now am waiting for the next in the series.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2012?

Also Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (which I read from 8pm-5am and just couldn't put it down) and Poison Princess (which I also read within 24 hours. I think I may have called in sick for this one).

9. Book you read in 2012 that you are most likely to re-read in 2013?

I don't know if I will have any time to re-read books in 2013, however other than maybe Poison Princess or Alice in Zombieland I would say:

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton was hot, and hilarious and a one book deal (not a series).
10. Favourite Cover of a book you read in 2012?

That is a tie. my type of favourite covers are ones that tell you about the book.


Crash by Nicole Williams is a fantastic series. These covers were changed when the got picked up by a larger publishing company, but I though the originals were awesome! They described Lucy and Jude and their story perfectly.



The Shifter series by Rachel Vincent became one of my favourite series from the get go and I am itching to on to the next book in the series. I think these covers so the independent, yet girl werecat Faythe as she deals with being dragged back into the politics of her were cat pride were females are scarce and protected.



Meet the Merrick brothers. Hotties that control the elements and apart of my posse if I ever had one. The Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer has me at the first book...I love Chris, always will, and I though the covers fit the stories right, they showed all brothers (minus a twin and plus Hunter) and each cover is specific to main character in that book (showing their talent, what they look like, while still keeping the rest of the crew in the background).

11. Most memorable character in 2012?

Oh so hard to break the tie!

Jackson (Jack) Deveraux from Poison Princess. I think It's the Cajun accent. And maybe the beautiful cocky stuff that comes out of his mouth.
Honourable Mentions to Charley Davidson who's comments about Pink Elephants and OCD made it hard to decide.

12. Most beautifully written book of 2012?

Umm....? I don't have a clue. I guess I don't really remember that stuff.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

Crash by Nicole Williams. I was gonna say maybe Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, or Losing It by Cora Carmack, or Coveted by Shawntelle Madison (which put a whole new look on OCD) or even Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally because they were awesome and captivated me. But, Crash was crazy. It has me gasping within the first couple of chapters...some serious stuff goes down and I was freaking out. It left quite the impact.

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2012 to finally read?

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles was published in 2007 and has been staring me down for a while. I read the first novel in her other series Perfect Chemistry and it was fantastic. So, of course I knew it was going to be great going into it, but it really was emotional and heartbreaking and moving all at the same time. I recommend this novel to everyone over the age of 16.
15. Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2012?

So many to choose from, but here is my favourite:

“To douchebags!" he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her.”- Jamie McGuire, Beautiful Disaster.

I think I wept for Travis. 

16. The shortest and longest book you read?

Shortest- Secret Santa Baby by Robin Covington- 60 pages.

Longest- Stray by Rachel Vincent

17. Book that had a scene that you had to talk about with someone?

Henry and the fake baby. I told everyone who I leant it to about that scene. I thought it was absolutely hilarious.
18. Favourite relationship from a book you read in 2012?

Charley Davidson and Cookie. They are both equally as hilarious and have a language of their own.

19. Favourite book you read in 2012 from an author you read previously?

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles. I read Perfect Chemistry previous to this year.

20. Best book you read that you read based solely on a recommendation from someone else?

Finally I get to mention this book! At my work, school, and most of the places I hang out I am the queen of books (what can I say I live in a small town) and someone from work recommended this to me. I was shocked because no one ever does, least of all a book one that I never read. I bought while I was waiting for it I saw some reviews fly around. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks was brilliant!







Book Blogging/ Reading Life in 2012

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? 


2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012? 

I would have to say that I enjoyed writing the review for Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

Discussion? Sadly I don't really know. I liked my post on The Original Bad Boy

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

Well...there was a big thing about on about bullying from both authors and bloggers. It was definitely thought-provoking and everywhere.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I officially started doing the meme Stacking the Shelves by Tynga's Reviews. I use to do the In My Mailbox, but when this meme started I switched because I thought it was more appropriate for my blog. I even have a new self-made graphic on the way!

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

I remember that The Elementalists were the first to share content from My Not So Vacant Shelf onto their Facebook page and ended up helping me promote my blog. Special thanks goes out to them!

The first author to ever comment on a post was Jana Oliver author of the Demon Trappers series. Big smiles go out to her!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My review for Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I guess some of my random rants like my post on the Original Bad Boy, or How to Organize Your Bookshelf . I would really like to hear people's opinions, not just on those but other reviews and posts.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

imlovingbooks.com This site has series banners, and team stickers which I decorate my blog with. 

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I completed my reading challenge of 100 books, completed my TBR-Pile Challenge (30 books), technically I passed by eBook Challenge (I only counted the ones in my TBR pile, but I read over 80 eBooks), sadly I did not finish my ABC Challenge although I only started it in September.

Looking Ahead...

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick. I think I'm been pushing it off because it's the last in the series.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?

The Collectior (Dante Walker #1) by Victoria Scott ETA: March 12th 2013.










3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?

Finish all my graphics. I still have to finish my "Waiting On" Wednesday graphic, my Stacking the Shelves graphics, my Winner graphic (for giveaways), and an ARC banner.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. You've got some great books on your list :) I also loved Obsidian and Alice in Zombieland!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...