Sunday, 20 January 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera


Hooked
Series: Hooked #1
Author: Liz Fichera
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance
Release Date: January 29, 2012
Pages:  384
Format: ebook
Source: Copy provided by publisher for review

Rating: 

Reason chosen: 

The book looked very promising.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

Review:

I was a little disappointed. This book started off so promising. Everything seemed different compared to other books I’ve read. However, right for the start I found myself not liking Ryan and, sadly, it didn’t really change until about 90% way through the novel. He continued to defend the actions of his best friend until the 90% marker (even after he did some completely unforgiveable things to Fred) and I really couldn’t accept that. In general Ryan doesn’t stand up to people and that seems to barely change throughout the novel. Fred was also a little bit naive in my opinion. Although Ryan leads her on she comes across, at first, like the kind of girls who believe that they go on one date and everything has changed and they are automatically in a relationship. Even more surprising is that just like how Ryan leads her on she leads someone else on as well, and even uses this person to get back at Ryan. On top of all of that the book was a little too slow for my liking. Although I liked the diversity and the differences that this book holds compared to others, and I even enjoyed the romance between the two characters from time to time I found that this book took me a long time to finish. Eleven days in fact, and usually I can get through a novel in about three or less. I found everything moved a little too slow, the romance, the action, the drama, and then it sort of all finally started happening near the end. This book may be for some people who are interested in a slow read, and even those who are interested in Golf (or simply know more than myself).

Good:

Fred—I like the shy, quiet, and independent Fred who knew what she loved.

Sam—Sam was a cool guy. He’s very quiet and that made it seem like he held a lot of depth.

Bad:

Character—I disliked attributes about a lot of the characters like Fred, Ryan, Seth, and Gwen.

I found the story slow and it felt like not a lot happened for the 300+ pages of this book. I also found that a lot of things didn’t really get resolved, or just weren’t explained how they were resolved.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the book was well written and very easy to follow, but the story just seemed to be lacking. It was too slow for my liking and the characters didn’t seem to have that much depth. I expected to get some real emotion from the characters but they all just seemed to be walking around constantly confused and there were barely any happy moments in the novel.  I did like that Fred was Native American and that instead of having issues with her Dad, it was her mom that was problem, and that finally we came across a girl who was from the wrong side of the tracks, but it found that this novel didn’t have as much depth as I expected it to have. Crazy as this might sound I am actually looking forward to the next novel in the series that surrounds Sam and Riley, and I have more hope for these characters, as they seem to hold a lot of depth and are just more promising in general.

Next in the Series:

Played ETA: 2014

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of young romance where the characters come from very different backgrounds and share a love of Golf, then this is for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

From What I Remember… by Stacey Kramer and Valerie Thomas, Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens, Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith.

Read Completely:
Yes

Trailer:

Alternate Cover(s):

Author Website/Blog:
Twitter: 
@LizFichera
Facebook: 

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Great review, I had exactly the same issues with this.

    Kate @ Reading Under the Willow Tree


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew...I thought I was going to be the only one. I saw a lot of people on Goodreads rated in 3-4 stars and I was almost scared to publish my review, because I was wondering if there was something I missed. I just found it wasn't my type of book, and I'm happy there is someone else out there that shares my opinion.

      Delete
  2. This book was okay for me, I love that Fred was a little naive, and comes from a different background. What I didn't like was Ryan, and his defensive act for his friend. He didn't stand up for Fred at all, and the ending scene was not very resolving for me. I still was okay with it, but my biggest disappointment was the we never got to see Ryan & Fred as a couple. I wish there were more romance in this story than just Golf.
    I'm really excited for Sam's story though, and I love that it's with Riley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I didn't like that he never really stood up for her either, and that we didn't get to see them more as a couple. I do still want to read Sam and Riley's story too!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...