Monday, 28 January 2013

Review: To the Nines by Janet Evanovich


To The Nines
Series: Stephanie Plum #9
Author: Janet Evanovich
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Genre: Contemporary, Adult, Fiction, Mystery.
Release Date: July 15th 2003
Pages:  320
Format: Paperback
Source: purchased

Rating:

Reason chosen: 

Because Stephanie Plum is hilarious. And, because I was watching One for The Money and decided to get back to the series.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Stephanie Plum's got rent to pay, people shooting at her, and psychos wanting her dead every day of the week (much to the dismay of her mother, her family, the men in her life, the guy who slices meat at the deli . . . oh, the list goes on). An ordinary person would cave under the pressure.

But hey, she's from Jersey.

Stephanie Plum may not be the best bounty hunter in beautiful downtown Trenton, but she's pretty darn good at turning bad situations her way . . . and she always gets her man. In To the Nines, her cousin Vinnie (who's also her boss) has posted bail on Samuel Singh, an illegal immigrant. When the elusive Mr. Singh goes missing, Stephanie is on the case. But what she uncovers is far more sinister than anyone imagines and leads to a group of killers who give new meaning to the word hunter.

In a race against time that takes her from the Jersey Turnpike to the Vegas Strip, Stephanie Plum is on the chase of her life.

Review:

Oh Stephanie Plum. You crack me up. I took a break from the Stephanie Plum series after reading 8.5 books all one after another and decided I didn’t want to ruin a good thing by having too much of it. But, then I randomly watched One for the Money (again) and I decided the break was over and Stephanie and I (more like Morelli, Ranger, and I) were going to need to rekindle. And I had a smile on my face from page one. Even when she’s just awaken from being knocked out with some of her hair missing, and in front of a dead body you can’t help but think “You’re awesome Steph.” This mystery definitely topped the majority of the other books because the killer was SO sadistic. I really loved it. It reminded me of Ramirez from the first few novels. And, even though there were moments when I thought man that person is sick, I couldn’t help but laugh at some of the random things that go through Stephanie’s mind and some of the awkward situations she gets herself into. And then of course Stephanie finally has some stuff figured out. Does she have the guy thing figured out? No. Does she have the career thing figured out? Nope. Ok, well she barely has things figured out, but she come to realize what she does want in her future and I thought that was a big move for Steph. Not to mention the characters, Steph, Morelli, Ranger, Lula, Connie, and even her sister and her sister’s “boyfriend” all crap me up. They are some strange characters that you just can’t help falling in love with. Stephanie Plum never makes anything simply, but also never leaves you bored or without a smile on your face.

Good:

Stephanie—“My poor bambinos”. Cracked me up.

Morelli—I use to hate when guys called me Cupcake. Now if a guy called me Cupcake I would smile…and probably be picturing you instead of them.

Ranger—Babe. Hot damn Ranger is awesome and I love the tension between Stephanie and him.

Lula, Connie, and the rest—As always you are all awesome.

Bad:

There were some moments when the story goes a little slow. They are few and far in between, but they still exist. And sometimes when Stephanie is collecting clues it tends to get a little bit boring.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall Stephanie Plum has never really let me down. Neither has Janet Evanovich. The story was pretty easy to follow, although sometimes there are so many characters your head spins just trying to remember them, but I never really had to re-read something to understand it. Stephanie isn’t really a genius (although sometimes I think she is) so everything is laid out pretty easy for the reason to understand. The story-line was a good one, and as always the characters were awesome. I am definitely not apposed to reading some more Stephanie Plum.

Quotes:

Click here to read some of my favourite quotes!

Previously In the Series:

One for the Money (#1) -> Click for review
Two for the Dough (#2)-> Click for review
Three to get Deadly (#3)-> Click for review
Four to Score (#4)-> Click for review
High Five (#5)-> Click for review
Hot Six (#6)-> Click for review
Seven Up (#7)-> Click for review
Hard Eight (#8)-> Click for review
Visions of Sugar Plums (#8.5)-> Click for review

Next in the Series:

Plum Lovin’ (#12.5)
Plum Lucky (#13.5)
Plum Spooky (#14.5)

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of a funny female heroine, that has a sexy cop on one side and a sexy bounty hunter on the other, and seems to get herself into some crazy situations, than this is the series for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Naked Werewolf series by Molly Harper, Wallbanger by Alice Clayton, Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones, Supernaturally Kissed by Stacey Kennedy, Jolie Wilkins series by H.P. Mallory, FBI/US Attorney series by Julie James, Katherine”Kitty” Katt series by Gini Koch, Mercy Thompsonseries by Patricia Briggs

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog:
Twitter:  @janetevanovich

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...