Thursday, 28 February 2013

Review: Devil of the Highlands by Lynsay Sands


Devil of the Highlands
Series:  Devil of the Highlands #1
Author:  Lynsay Sands
Genre:  Historical, Romance, Adult
Release Date: January 27th 2009
Pages:  351
Format: ebook
Source: Borrowed from the library

Rating: 

Reason chosen: 

I’ll admit that I was looking around for a good highlander romance

Summary taken from Goodreads:

They call him the Devil . . .

He is the most notorious laird of Scotland: fierce, cold, deadly . . . and maybe even worse. Yet Evelinde has just agreed to wed him. Anything, she thinks, is better than her cruel stepmother. Though Evelinde should be wary of the rumors, she can't help but be drawn to this warrior . . . for the Devil of the Highlands inspires a heat within her that is unlike anything she has ever known.

They may call him whatever they wish, but Cullen, Laird of Donnachaidh, cares only for the future of his clan. He must find a wife, a woman to bear him sons and heed his commands. He has no need for beauty or grace, but one taste of his lovely bride's sweet lips and the sultry feel of her skin arouse an untamed passion. Perhaps there's more to marriage than he thought . . .

Review:

Well…I’ve fallen in love with another highlander. And he is nicknamed ‘The Devil’. How, awesome is that? I liked this book. It started off with some awesome passion, and then there was some mystery added in, and I was a goner. Cullen really got me from the first meeting. He didn’t fit his nickname, but he doesn’t talk a lot so I can see how people can come to that conclusion, but then he goes and totally woos Evelinde in a very, very nice scene by the water. *SWOON. I also really liked the mystery aspect of this novel. I liked that it affected them at ‘home’ and wasn’t about some enemy clan. Now I thought I had ‘The Villain’ all figured out, but this book was tricky and when it was all revealed I was happily surprised.  This book kept me on my toes, kept me thinking, and kept me falling for Cullen.

Good:

Cullen—I loved when he tells her he will try and tell her as well as show her what he is thinking. Damn….just damn.

Evelinde—She had a pretty crappy life, but is not willing to settle for anything other than what she wants.

Bad:

I find there was a lack of depth in their romance. I guess I just wasn’t feeling their love too much.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I really enjoyed this novel. I liked the mystery, I enjoyed the characters, and swooned over the male character, and I found the writing as easy to follow as any writing about Scotland during the time of Lairds and Highlanders could be.

Next in the Series:


Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of Highlanders like I am…than this is a book for you

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman, The Chief by Monica McCarty, The Highlander’s Reward by Eliza Knight, The McCabe Trilogy, and The Montgomery and Armstrong series by Maya Banks, Daughters of Glen series by Melissa Mayhue

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog: http://www.lynsaysands.net

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh... this sounds fun!!! ;)

    Great review! I need a new highlander crush.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...