Sunday, 28 April 2013

Review: Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell


Unrivaled
Author: Siri Mitchell
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Genre:  Historical, Fiction, Romance, Christian
Release Date:  March 1st 2013
Pages:  387
Format: Paperback
Source: A copy was provided by the publisher for a review

Rating:

Reason chosen:  

I was asked if I wanted to read this book and it sounded awesome.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Three-Time Christy Finalist Pens Another Winning Historical Romance
Lucy Kendall always assumed she'd help her father in his candy-making business, creating recipes and aiding him in their shared passion. But after a year traveling in Europe, Lucy returns to 1910 St. Louis to find her father unwell and her mother planning to sell the struggling candy company. Determined to help, Lucy vows to create a candy that will reverse their fortunes.
St. Louis newcomer Charlie Clarke is determined to help his father dominate the nation's candy industry. Compromise is not an option when the prize is a father's approval, and falling in love with a business rival is a recipe for disaster when only one company can win. Will these two star-crossed lovers let a competition that turns less than friendly sour their dreams?

Review:

So, I’ve never read a copy with characters that are candy-makers. It was an interesting read and I loved how to romance was tied into the story. I’ve always been a sucker for the star-crossed/rivals turn to lovers. How can you not when the romance is built up with tension? I couldn’t help but sit back and smile as I read about Lucy and Charlie, and watched as the unknowingly fall in love. Upon looking into the book some more I noticed a review from another Christian romance author that I loved: Karen Witemeyer. She notes that Siri Mitchell reproduces a romance like that of Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in you’ve got mail and I couldn’t agree more. I loved the character from the first page all the way to the end and I would be happy to read more by Siri Mitchell!

Good:

The whole candy franchise plot was pretty cool

Lucy! She understands the value of family and is feisty and determined.

Charlie! A pretty awesome guy who is only trying to do right by his dad and make a name for himself

Bad:

There were some parts that were slow and I did find my attention drifting.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the novel was easy to follow along with. I wasn’t ever confused or found myself having to re-read something to make sense of what was happening. I truly enjoyed this book from the romance, to the characters and even the setting had me dreaming about being there. Siri Mitchell’s Unrivaled is definitely a book and romance lover can get into.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of a romance that really focuses on the growing love between to people than this is a novel for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Swept Away by Mary Connealy, Picture Perfect by Janice Thompson, A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano, Courting Cate by Leslie Gould, A Tailor-Made Bride and ShortStraw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Read Completely:
Yes

Author Website/Blog: http://www.sirimitchell.com
Twitter: @sirimitchell
  
This book was provided courtesy of the author/publisher for review; however, this is no way affected my review.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked my book! Thanks for taking the time to write and post a review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...