Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Review: Wrecked by Anna Davies


Wrecked
Author: Anna Davies
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Genre:  YA, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date:  May 1st 2012
Pages:  336
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased

Rating: 

Reason chosen:  

I’ve been wanting to read this book for a long time. So I finally gave in.


Summary taken from Goodreads:

Secrets of the sea have never been sexier than this. Ever since the death of her parents, Miranda has lived on Whym Island, taking comfort in the local folklore, which claims a mysterious sea witch controls the fate of all on the island and in its surrounding waters. Sometimes it’s just easier to believe things are out of your control.

     But then a terrible boating accident takes the lives of several of her friends, and Miranda is rescued by a mysterious boy who haunts her dreams. Consumed by guilt from the accident, she finds refuge in late-night swims—and meets Christian, a boy who seems eerily familiar, but who is full of mystery: He won’t tell her where he is from, or why they can only meet at the beach. But Miranda falls for him anyway…and discovers that Christian’s secrets, though meant to protect her, may bring her nothing but harm.
Review:

I tried. I really did. I saw the negative reviews, and the overall low rating, but I pushed those aside because I really wanted to read the book. Something about it was really appealing to me. Sadly, this book fell short for me. For a few reasons. On an upbeat note I did enjoy the characters. I did like Christian who really felt like a boy out of his world. I could understand how Miranda became the person who is because she has had one messed up life. The book began so promising, but overall the plot and circumstance just really brought this book down. If there were some minor/major changes that occurred this book could have been fantastic. I am happy that I read it because it had been in the back of my mind for a long time. I just wish it had lived up my expectations more.

Good:

Christian—he seemed like a good guy, and he felt like a boy out of his element.

While reading this I did have an idea of Christian in my head



Bad:

First I will start with the thing that bugged me most. There is a large accident and everyone blames Miranda. And mean everyone. Her grandmother, her soccer coach, her guidance counsellor, random people of society, even her friends that were they when it happened. It makes no sense!!!!! Its very unrealistic. Sometimes its explained that they hate her because she was uninjured or because she lived and others came out unharmed (or barely). Not to mention it wasn’t her idea to go on the boat, and she was the only sober one so she drove. I’m just not understanding how EVERYONE could blame her. They go as far as trying to get her removed from her school, her teacher passed her by when handing out tests. This is completely un-realistic in my opinion

Secondly, Christian and Miranda fall for each other way too easily. They barely know each other and have only met once. Again, unrealistic. Also they don’t meet until about half-way through the novel—which makes this a slow paced novel.

Then there is the unexplained. Why did her parents die? I thought for sure that would play into a larger role in the plot…but not so much.

And to be honest I didn’t like the ending.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall I found it sometimes hard to follow, I had to re-check to make sure I didn’t miss something and some of the info that was given contradicted other information given in different parts of the novel. I found the story lacking a lot of depth, and I found many situations un-realistic. The story could have been a good and entertaining story if it wasn’t for some parts of the plot that ended up bringing down the whole value of the story.

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you are a lover of a mermaid story with a short romance and a wicked sea witch then you may like this.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs, Struck by Jennifer Bosworth, Hollyweird by Terri Clark, Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, Fins series by Tea Lynn Childs

Read Completely:
Yes

Twitter: @annakdavies

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...