Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Review: The Year of the Great Seventh by Teresa Orts

The Year of the Great Seventh
Series: The Tropic of Cancer #1
Author: Teresa Orts
Publisher: Drayton Press
Genre:  YA, Romance, Supernatural/Mythology
Release Date:  July 6th 2013
Pages:  295
Format: Paperback
Source: Copy provided by publisher for review
View/Purchase:  Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository
Rating:


Reason chosen:  

I was request to complete a review for the novel and when I read it I couldn’t say no.

Summary taken from Goodreads:

Sophie has always felt out of step—an outsider, even amongst friends in her high school with all the hype about celebrity culture. Her life in L.A. seems to have been already written for her, but when her junior year starts, it all takes a drastic turn. When she crosses paths with the school's heartthrob, Nate Werner, they fall for each other in a way neither can understand. What they don’t know is that by giving in to their desires, they are unlocking an ancient Egyptian prophecy that threatens to return Earth to the dark ages.

To undo the curse, Nate and Sophie embark on an adventure that takes them across the country. But their quest is not only to save the world as they know it. It is also a fight for their very survival. Behind the scenes, there are those that are counting on them to fail.

Review:

I was asked to read this novel by the author and I’m happy I said yes. The first thing that really caught my attention was the cover; I have to admit that it synched it for me. The story overall was pretty cool and refreshing although it does sort of remind me of Hilary Duff’s Elixir series. I like the talk of ancient Egypt (I’m a pretty big fan) and I liked the play on our celebrity culture. There were some things I was really feeling: although I understood that Nate and Sophie were drawn together because of their prophecy I wasn’t really feeling how they feel for each other. But, it was nothing that really hurt the books. I liked the adventure across the country and I even liked the characters. It was refreshing read. 

Good:

Nate- He’s pretty head strong and determind

Sophie- A history buff that doesn’t fit it.

Bad: 

There were something that just didn’t really feel right or necessarily “fit”, but nothing too important

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):

Overall the writing was pretty easy to follow and the story was enjoyable. I found some thing I hard to work through in my mind, but otherwise the story was an enjoyable one. 

Next in the Series:

The Tropic of Cancer #2 ETA: Unknown

Viewer Type Recommendation:

If you like a YA read about prophecies and romances than this is a novel for you.

If you liked this you'll probably love:

Elixir by Hilary Duff, Poison Princess by Kresley Cole, Providence series by Jamie McGuire, The Nine Lives of Chloe King by Celia Thomson

Read Completely: 
Yes


Author Info:
Author Website/Blog: http://www.teresaorts.com

This book was provided courtesy of the author/publisher for review; however, this is no way affected my review.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...